Discuss 3 way switching- Hotel Style. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Eveyone.

I'm curious about the 3 way switching arrangement similar to that seen in a hotel room.
Switch at door with two additional switches either side of bed that can turn on/off main ceiling light. Simple.

However now to make it a lit bit confusing....

Single gang Intermediate switch at door with two gang two way switches either side of bed.

3 way switching arrangement to control main ceiling light with additional two switches that turn on/off bedside lights independently.

Questions?
Ignoring the two switches for the side lights.
Would the three way switching be wired like any other 3 way switching arrangement?

A switch feed to the intermediate switch also possible?

Many thanks

Cannot see the problem, its the way i would do it for a bedroom, in fact i have a 3 way switching arrangement in bedroom which has two separate 3 way switching either side of bed, one for main light like you want and one for the hallway light outside the bedroom. This allows using the hallway light to not disturb the 2nd person when getting up or going to bed when one is already in bed, asleep. Each side also has bedside lights just like you want.

Cannot see the problem, its the way i would do it for a bedroom, in fact i have a 3 way switching arrangement in bedroom which has two separate 3 way switching either side of bed, one for main light like you want and one for the hallway light outside the bedroom. This allows using the hallway light to not disturb the 2nd person when getting up or going to bed when one is already in bed, asleep. Each side also has bedside lights just like you want.
Thank you for your quick reply.
Sounds like you have a really good setup at your place.
So having the intermediate switch at the door and the two way switches at the bed is pretty standard.

Probably not as the longest cable run would be from bed to door, it would make more sense of cable use to have a 2way switch by the door. But what you propose would work.
Can you get double intermediate switches so there is a bed-side light on/off as well?

If not available (or at least not in the chosen aesthetic range) that would be an argument for the two-ways by the bed and intermediate by the door. Extra cable is not going to be that expensive, is the getting it in place that usually hurts!

cough Quinetic cough

Seriously though… nowadays there are different solutions for multi way switching that can be easier or cheaper to implement.

Whilst I can see their merit for retrofit jobs or installations with a limited lifespan I would still go for a wired option wherever possible. Easier and cheaper doesn't always result in the best quality.

I'm not convinced that the wireless options are going to last the decades that a normal switch would.

Can you get double intermediate switches so there is a bed-side light on/off as well?
Made up a few unofficial Int + 1W or 2W from MEM/Delta switches a while back. The switch modules were fixed to the faceplate by a single screw, and took only seconds to make a intermediate switch and a 2G2W switch into a 1G2W switch and a Int.+ 2W switch.
Could always use grid switches , of course.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Sounds like you have a really good setup at your place.
So having the intermediate switch at the door and the two way switches at the bed is pretty standard.
As mentioned, it does not really matter that much where you put any on it. Lots of switches from say scolmore have options so you can build up the switches as you like them. Suggest you choose some nice switches you like and see if they have the options you require. cabling is neither here nor there. Its all doable

Made up a few unofficial Int + 1W or 2W from MEM/Delta switches a while back. The switch modules were fixed to the faceplate by a single screw, and took only seconds to make a intermediate switch and a 2G2W switch into a 1G2W switch and a Int.+ 2W switch.
Could always use grid switches , of course.
After I posted I immediately thought of the grid switch option, but your custom switch is quite an interesting way of doing the same!

This is how I planned to wire the three way switches. Is it possible to have the cable from the light to the intermediate switch instead of the two way switch seen the diagram. How would you wire it in?

Attachments

• 3 way switching- Hotel Style. Screenshot_20230307_210023_Samsung Internet - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20230307_210023_Samsung Internet.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 17
Is it possible to have the cable from the light to the intermediate switch instead of the two way switch seen the diagram. How would you wire it in?
I don't think it is possible to do it the way you ask.
The light and feed need to go to the 2-way switches, and you can have as many intermediates as you want in between.
In your case put a 2-way where the feed to the light is, and use triple and earth cable off to the intermediate and then to the other 2-way.

If you've only got a single switch at the moment that operates the light, as has been suggested you could put a Quinetic wired receiver switch there, and then stick two transmitter switches wherever you need them. It's a tradeoff between higher overall cost and less work wiring!
I've used them for 2-way switching etc. and never had any problems
One of these: Quinetic 1 Gang Wireless Switch c/w Built In Receiver - White | Quinetic (QURS1W) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QURS1W.html
And two of these: Quinetic 1 Gang Wireless Switch - White - IP67 | Quinetic (QUWS1W) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QUWS1W.html

Last edited:
I need to draw this and check, but…
PL feed to Com at first switch
3core to intermediate but use one core as N
3 core to final switch using 3rd core from COM as SL return
Then light to SL return and N at intermediate switch.
I think.

That diagram looks like the typical 'strapper' arrangement with an intermediate switch. You could have more intermediates along the way, all the same (brown linked, grey & black on the switches) all in 3&E cable, if desired.

Whether you put the live feed and switch junction at the light rose (as shown) or at an end change-over switch is a matter of convenience.

In the proposed arrangement there is only two cables of T&E/3&E at any one location, plus however the light goes to the rose junction. Bringing L&N to a switch and then switched L&N out to the light means 3 such cables at one of the ends, but equally that helps if you want in the future to change to some control that needs N there.

Thats one way of doing it in diagram, but there are others as long as you follow the principle. If you just want to convert the existing door switch to an intermediate you will still have to get more cables into that switch box, if you look at how many cores enter and leave the intermediate switch. Dont know how much access you have above but you may find it easier to rewire from above. If you can then its possible sometimes to pull a second T&E into the door switch box. then wire 3Core and earth to each bed switch and do all the connections above the ceiling. If you have to deal with bedside lights as well, this will depend on where they are and if you can wire them locally, if so you will need a neutral as well at the bedside switches.
In principle:- how you wire it post initial install is a function of how much decorating you want to do after, lol.
Let us know a few things like what the wiring possibilities are wrt bedroom and any access from above. to the switch locations

Thats one way of doing it in diagram, but there are others as long as you follow the principle. If you just want to convert the existing door switch to an intermediate you will still have to get more cables into that switch box, if you look at how many cores enter and leave the intermediate switch. Dont know how much access you have above but you may find it easier to rewire from above. If you can then its possible sometimes to pull a second T&E into the door switch box. then wire 3Core and earth to each bed switch and do all the connections above the ceiling. If you have to deal with bedside lights as well, this will depend on where they are and if you can wire them locally, if so you will need a neutral as well at the bedside switches.
In principle:- how you wire it post initial install is a function of how much decorating you want to do after, lol.
Let us know a few things like what the wiring possibilities are wrt bedroom and any access from above. to the switch locations
With regards to access. Wall behind bed where the 2 way switches either side of the bed are going is loft space. Where the intermediate switch at the door is. The opposite side to that wall, the stud work is all exposed while I do further work.
So I can do cable runs without any damage what so ever.
With regards to access. Both walls have loft space behind them with stud work exposed so i can run all the cable I want without any need to cause damage to the room.
At the moment the only cable at the intermediate switch is the feed down from the light.

Are you saying this feed needs to go to one of the two way switches instead?

Many thanks

No, it sounds like you can wire it anyway you want but are "bound" by having to put the intermediate at the door. As mentioned you can choose switches so that you have one intermediate and one 1 way switch for one bed switch and one 2 way and one 1 way for the other bed switch. Then you can follow the diagram as is. However if you really want to put the intermediate at the door then post 16 is the answer.

Reply to 3 way switching- Hotel Style. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock