Discuss 30 year old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chloebear

30ish year old T/earth cable - 2.5 with 1mm cpc????? not come accros this one before - was thois a standard back in the dark old days. Also when it starts dripping the good old green gooo, what would you say would be the expected life of the insulation on this type of cable - thinking of singning this one off with a 5 year ticket????

30ish year old T/earth cable - 2.5 with 1mm cpc????? not come accros this one before - was thois a standard back in the dark old days. Also when it starts dripping the good old green gooo, what would you say would be the expected life of the insulation on this type of cable - thinking of singning this one off with a 5 year ticket????
So if you have 1.5mm E/wire that makes all the difference to insulation properties? If next year the earth wire is upgraded to 2.5mm will you condemn what you have put in this year?

I have had this twice lately, but on mine the r1+r2 and/or R1 to R2 ratio was more like 2:1.

It is nearer 2mm and 1mm and it will be old imperial sizes, as I see this as it complied at the time so no code provided the OCPD is sized correctly.

Last edited:
So if you have 1.5mm E/wire that makes all the difference to insulation properties? If next year the earth wire is upgraded to 2.5mm will you condemn what you have put in this year?

thanks for the comment - seems you may have missed the point though. Just asking for info on the older cable sizing etc, not saying it's incorrect or obsolite - just wanted to know. Cheers.

thanks for the comment - seems you may have missed the point though. Just asking for info on the older cable sizing etc, not saying it's incorrect or obsolite - just wanted to know. Cheers.
Sorry about the earth wire size, misunderstood that bit. But your comment seemed to imply that a 30 year old cable would start to give off green goo. I have only seen 2 cases of this happening and both times it was a lost neutral so the return was going down the earth wire causing the cable to get hot.

2.5mm with 1mm CPC was available quite briefly I believe, not sure exactly when cos it was before my time! Not a problem really in itself, as long as zs and disconnection times are ok. I have seen a case where the two legs of a RFC were in this, but the middle part was in 2.5+1.5. Wasn't an overly long circuit, and passed all the usual tests, so no code!

For some years, 2.5mm2 twin-and-earth PVC/PVCcables to BS 6004 were manufactured with acircuit protective conductor (cpc) of only 1mm2,rather than 1.5mm2 as is incorporated today.
The size of the cpc was increased to 1.5mm2 inBS 6004 because in certain circumstances the1mm2 cpc may not always be properly protectedagainst thermal effects in the event of an earthfault. This is where the cable is used in a ringfinal circuit protected by a 30A semi-enclosed(rewirable) fuse. If this is the case, a competentelectrician should be consulted about upgradingthe cables and/or the consumer unit.

My house was built in about 1975 and has both of the issues here.
There are signs of green goo at a couple of accessories, but I'm not about to rip it all out. Your suggestion of a 5 year re-test date seems a good one.
There have been previous threads on the green goo here. The consensus appears to be that the electrical properties are unaffected and that it doesn't significantly reduce the life of the cable. But wash your hands after touching it.

Reply to 30 year old cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock