Discuss 3Phase ASHP - 16a RCBO/ TP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Got a new build house coming up, has 3phase ASHP specified.

Company commissioning the unit have specified to supplied via an RCBO, type C or D.

Done quick google and struggling to find any reputable make of 16a 30mA RCBO/ TP that will do the job..... anyone help me on this please ?
(Can then also price up my DB to suit this.)

Cheers Sy

You could go for a 3 phase RCD in a separate enclosure as an alternative.
That is what we did for our pair of 3P A/C units, 16A C-curve MCBs in the Hager TPN board and a separate matching DIN enclosure for the RCDs and misc SPD, etc.

Even if you find a 3P RCBO supplier you will probably find it works out cheaper to put a separate RCD in a small box!

Also it seems a lot of them are basically add-on units to a MCB and you end up loosing another way in the TPN board to have it fitted, though not always a problem.

Schnider boards do a lovely "meter add on box" that sits below the DB, it has several advantages,
It bolts directly to the DB, it can act as gland termination lower than the incoming switch which allows easier management of the 25sqmm or 35sqmm tails. It has a sturdy Din rail for mounting meters, RCDs, contactors etc etc and its cheap. Used them for EV RCDs, contactors and metering units for solar.

Schnider boards do a lovely "meter add on box" that sits below the DB, it has several advantages,
It bolts directly to the DB, it can act as gland termination lower than the incoming switch which allows easier management of the 25sqmm or 35sqmm tails. It has a sturdy Din rail for mounting meters, RCDs, contactors etc etc and its cheap. Used them for EV RCDs, contactors and metering units for solar.
Schneider are a good choice.

I went with Hager as they do the same, though in my case I mounted the DIN box side by side as too tall otherwise. Main reason for Hager in my case is I wanted the transparent door versions for an industrial application so folks could see the meter & indicator lights, and check nothing had tripped, without having to open anything. Also allows a CCTV remote check of the same!

In true Blue Peter style, here is one I prepared earlier and the blue indictors on the DIN rail board at the top show power to the two A/C units:
hager-boards.jpg

Like the camera, "whose be fiddling in here then?"
In reality it is looking at the door in the far corner, but serves as a "did you monkey with it?" record as well :)

So far it has been more of the occasional "Doh, I left the lights on!" check after locking up the site, and the resulting trip next day to put them off.

Thank you.... gonna get on the case today, sounds like a plan ;-)

Probably the same fella who left his stubby behind...
That is mine!

It sits there as the doors need a screwdriver to open then and it saves going looking for one! Also just out of sight there is a screw in the wall to hand the emergency light test switch and the door keys to the boxes outside for accessing the incoming supply SWA and the (as yet unused) generator terminals.

We are luck that really all staff are "electrically competent", at lest to the point of knowing when not to monkey with something, so locking up it more for neatness and occasional guest loitering than to really keep the usual suspects out.

I used Eaton 3pn C32 & C16 RCBO's on as ASHP project last year and they were about £60ish each from memory.

The N does straddle a way on the bus bar, though, so there's some wastage - they fit better on the Right hand bus than Left as otherwise you also have to mess about with paying attention to wiring them in as the phases get translated which just doesn't look right! [As in - 1,2,3,N at the bottom turns into N(1) 2(2) 3(3) 1(4) at the bottom]

Reply to 3Phase ASHP - 16a RCBO/ TP in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net