Discuss !8th Edition - will it be a new mandatory qualification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just been thinking about the 18th edition thats being worked on.

Understandably all the various schemes will make it a mandatory qualification to join one of them.

At what point will all the various training bodies start offering the usual city and guilds courses in the subject? Also will they have capacity for all the electricians needing the new course?

Will there be a smaller upgrade course for those with the most recent 17th ed qualifications?

Either way this is a nice money making exercise for lots of bodies. From the technical bodies through to publishers and course providers. they are all looking to make a fair amount of profit out of us.

The Mandatory books and onsite guides, copies of various guidance notes... looking at couple of hundred for these alone.
Mandatory course to get a 18th ed qualification another couple of hundred.

If you run a business with several employees then you are looking at a big outlay.

I sometimes think the cowboys have the right idea, sod the rules and regs and just call yourself 17th edition qualified and solve all problems with a bit of insulation tape.

Just been thinking about the 18th edition thats being worked on.

Understandably all the various schemes will make it a mandatory qualification to join one of them.

At what point will all the various training bodies start offering the usual city and guilds courses in the subject? Also will they have capacity for all the electricians needing the new course?

Will there be a smaller upgrade course for those with the most recent 17th ed qualifications?

Either way this is a nice money making exercise for lots of bodies. From the technical bodies through to publishers and course providers. they are all looking to make a fair amount of profit out of us.

The Mandatory books and onsite guides, copies of various guidance notes... looking at couple of hundred for these alone.
Mandatory course to get a 18th ed qualification another couple of hundred.

If you run a business with several employees then you are looking at a big outlay.

I sometimes think the cowboys have the right idea, sod the rules and regs and just call yourself 17th edition qualified and solve all problems with a bit of insulation tape.
Sinc when has BS7671 been Mandatory? it's a design / advisory document to help you comply with the EAW ACT which is mandatory, cus it's an ACT

Sinc when has BS7671 been Mandatory? it's a design / advisory document to help you comply with the EAW ACT which is mandatory, cus it's an ACT

i get what you are saying but from what i can tell all the various schemes ask to see that you have qualifications in the latest regs and have copies of the books. yes they allow you to comply with the EAW act. eitherway my point is about the cost of the new update to a business which can quickly add upto a couple hundred quid. as there will be new books, courses etc that have to be paid for.

i get what you are saying but from what i can tell all the various schemes ask to see that you have qualifications in the latest regs and have copies of the books. yes they allow you to comply with the EAW act. eitherway my point is about the cost of the new update to a business which can quickly add upto a couple hundred quid. as there will be new books, courses etc that have to be paid for.
That's why they are called scams Gav, I agree it will cost £100s

As someone who qualified on the 17th edition, what do you have to do to upgrade to the 18th when it comes out? Is it simply the 18th regs course?

Well, since a current BS 7671 qualification obtained within the last 5 years is a prerequisite for renewal of an SJIB gold card, it most certainly is a mandatory qualification if the holder is based in Scotland and wants to renew his gold card so he can have his certificates accepted by a loca authority's building control department.

My gold card isn't due for renewal for another three years by which time we might be using the 19th, or at the current rate of change, maybe even the 20th edition. So I have quite a while yet to save-up the £400 or £500 that I'll need to shell-out for yet another 3 day course. Thankfully, my next renewal will be my last as I will be approaching retirement by the time of the expiry date and thankfully won't have to spend any more money on any of these bloody courses.

I have a JIB gold card and 17th edition qualification but now work full time as a maintenance Electrician in a Dairy. Would the new 18th edition be required in my circumstances if I seen out the rest of my career in this field?

As someone who qualified on the 17th edition, what do you have to do to upgrade to the 18th when it comes out? Is it simply the 18th regs course?
Well I would think so wouldn't you? pay yer £2 0r £3 hundred quid to some scam sit the exam, now that's joke for a start, it will be open book and based on all the changes, I should think, it's an insult to any self respecting Electrician, there will of course those who take the course sit the exam get the certificate and call themselves Qualified Electricians, here we go again, all change when the 19th comes out, when the IET run out of funds, glad I'm out of the working arena. That little lot should get the blood racing.

I have a JIB gold card and 17th edition qualification but now work full time as a maintenance Electrician in a Dairy. Would the new 18th edition be required in my circumstances if I seen out the rest of my career in this field?
Doubt it Jason

From what they were saying at CEF Live at the NEC on Thursday it is going to be a 5 day course and around £700 - £800 for the course plus the books.

It's a total rip off!!!!!!!!
How much? that's not a rip off, that's grand Larceny, do Plumbers, Chippies and all the other Trades have to go through Carp? No because Electricians are the best.

Last edited:
From what they were saying at CEF Live at the NEC on Thursday it is going to be a 5 day course and around £700 - £800 for the course plus the books.

It's a total rip off!!!!!!!!

Ha - I'm going to run one for a cut price of £699, and I'll even throw in cups of tea... I'm hoping I'll be able to find a place that just offers the exam and blag it with a bit of study. 5 days in a regs training course - I'd go nuts.
Wait up - too late for that o_O

Ha - I'm going to run one for a cut price of £699, and I'll even through in cups of tea... I'm hoping I'll be able to find a place that just offers the exam and blag it with a bit of study. 5 days in a regs training course - I'd go nuts.
Wait up - too late for that o_O
Through in you mean throw in I hope

The changes are small .... So if you know the 17th wouldn't a single day be enough?

I reckon these people who set up the certificate shops/ training centres where you go in and a few weeks later come out as a supposed qualified domestic electrician have the right idea.
If you know enough to teach the basics then you can set up as a city and guilds centre and offer the courses so newbies can join the likes of elecsa and niceic.
They charge around 2.5 to 3k a per person, so say 6 every week starting .Thats quite a cash turnover.... You wouldn't need many students through the door to have a nice retirement.
It pays a lot more than working as an electrician. they will be rubbing their hands together with the new 18th edition. a right money making opportunity with a captive market.

There's absolutely no requirement to " do a course" for 7671 updates. Simply read up on the document, pay your C&G exam fee to an approved examination centre and Bob's yer Aunty.
Of course, you'll have to fork out for (or borrow) the big blue book.
Still no emojis!

Reply to !8th Edition - will it be a new mandatory qualification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock