Discuss 95mm cable entry into switch fuse in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi people,

Setup:
Connect TPN supply from meter to 315A fuse switch (mounted on same surface <3m away) feeding busbar chamber.

Will use 95mm tails.

What gland would you recommend using to enter the cables into fuse switch?

I was thinking to route cables via cable tray but wonder if there is a standard method more suitable?

Thanks

Unitrunk do a Flared Flange if you need a bit of cable bend room.

1612736407074.png

Unitrunk do quote a good range, but the official price list is scarily expensive. Your local electrical wholesale place ought to get you a very good discount on the list.

I'd be using flexible for tails...
and looking to complete with horizontal trunking mounting F/S above.

.....if you've not already done it.

Normally I would go for tri-rated wire because it is so much easier to wrangle, and mostly I have worked on systems more akin to "control panels" than power distribution where '6491X' is the norm.

But I don't have the tools or ferrules for anything over 25mm so would be looking at having to add something like an extra £150 or so to the cost to get them. Some places sell them individually instead of packs of 100 or so, such as these folks (who also sell the tri-rated cable and have been helpful to me in the past):
Example of crimp tool:

Of course it might also be the case that your fused-switch has bolt terminals (such as Schneider SQB3153K which would be my choice having used the smaller ones of the same series) and in that case you would need crimp lugs for 95mm cable & matching tool irrespective of it being fine-stranded "tri-rated" or the usual coarse-stranded 6491X.

Last edited:
Interesting thx, shame I've already placed the order.

I went for the MGFS3153C with bolt terminals.
I plan to borrow a crimper from wholesalers (will check they have matching dies + crimps).

Going to be fun

Interesting thx, shame I've already placed the order.

I went for the MGFS3153C with bolt terminals.
I think it basically the same model but different branding (Merlin-Gerin)? Never had both side-by-side to compare in any greater detail. Either way still a good choice.

If, as I would imagine, it is basically the same as the 100A version then you can make life easier by popping off the hinges (hinge pin can be removed) to remove the door

You can also (with a little care) get the whole switch mechanism out so you only have the outer box to get in to place and bolted to the wall, etc. Makes it less than half the weight to do so, also makes the earth bolt at the side easier to access.

But if you have some help it might just be as easy to put it up whole!

I plan to borrow a crimper from wholesalers (will check they have matching dies + crimps).

Going to be fun
If you can borrow for the job that is brilliant, as the tools add to quite a bit and probably you don't see many jobs like this to make it worth buying them.

A bit like this.....? Tri-rated, trunking, Schneider (M Gerin) and crimp/ferruled.
These cables are 70mm but the incoming switch was installed by others so a bit of thought and adaptation needed with all that lot behind. Unistrut comes in useful.
Coming straight in the bottom with an extension box, as shown, should give plenty room.

IMG_0840.JPG

Thanks for the info.

Planning to fit an 18mm marine ply backboard spaced off the wall to mount all the kit which should make things easier.

Received a load of good advice, read, understood, & printed off all the manufacturer's datasheets & instructions so feeling pretty set to the point where I am looking forward to the task.

Trunking as others have said and a minimum of 150/150 to allow for bending of 95mm even on tri rated tails... don't get solid strand, you will have a nightmare on your hands trying to form it around and to get it lugged spot on to the bolt threads.
A trunking that has swept bends also is better than a brand that only has the 90 degree sharp internal angle.

Just noticed your post with image IPF, thanks for sharing, due to existing layout I will need to do a similar s bend with the trunking.

Ok,, thanks everyone - I'll get some tri rated tails, >150/150 trunking with swept edges & make or (modify an existing) flared flange to provide some wriggle room.

Onwards and upwards ?

Get some paxolin or, if not, some good quality 6mm ply wood for mounting between trunking and unit, smooth slotting as required for safe cable entry. I find using grommet with such cable and lack of space is a no no.

Last edited:
Interesting, rather than cut a slot, I could cut individual holes for each cable to help align cables & provide support.
Will look into this thanks

Just to clarify, you are thinking of putting individual holes for each cable in the paxolin/ply wood and not the trunking?

Reply to 95mm cable entry into switch fuse in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net