Discuss A few Australia Question's.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

what are they like with the certs like EICR and minor works etc? do they have them?

I only did Industrial & Commercial in South Australia. I am slightly bias towards commercial. Certificates of compliance must be issued when any electrical work is carried out, however, some do not. The one saving grace is that you can't carry any electrical work out unless you have a license issued by the state in this case South Australia. I can assure you, Adelaide is no easier or harder getting your license than any other state.

The great thing at the moment though is the dollar is very strong against the pound and some work for domestic is being offered at between $32 - 37 per hour, which is about 23/25 English pound per hour.

Food is expensive, Gas/Electric is expensive, petrol is dirt cheap, TV and Night life is rubbish, it is hot in the summer and Air con is a must. Women are beautiful and The Great Barrier along with Cairns could be considered paradise... They have similar health service to NHS called medicare and you need a tax file number to get any kind of work. Centrelink, which is social here pays a heck of a lot more than here, and yet more people want to work out there. There is no such thing as getting your rent paid for, it is 10 percent help if you are unemployed or something like that, you certainly do not get it all paid for. Internet is not too bad, Telstra in my opinion is better than Optus for broadband and Phone line and Vodafone offer the best deals with mobiles. Foxtel the pay tv provider is absolutely garbage and their terrestial channels are useless. Sport is a mix between cricket, AFL and NRL, Football (Soccer) is not overly big. I will say this, Toohey's extra dry is by far the best tasting beer I have ever tasted... Fosters on the other hand is a drink that you just don't touch in Oz, it is considered uncool and the beer on tap is very cool, goes down well. The chocolate is less sugary than ours, not sure what else there is lol...As for states, Adelaide & Perth are by far the most beautiful of the cities.. Both Melbourne and Sydney are overrated... Northern Territories and Queensland are very nice... :)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
do they do much testing over in Aus? Would i need to bring my testing gear with me or would i need to sell it before i leave? what do u think?

Costs a fortune over here.
Bring it with you
I gave my fluke to my mate in the UK before i left as i needed it for work untill i flew out.

do they do much testing over in Aus? Would i need to bring my testing gear with me or would i need to sell it before i leave? what do u think?

Am currently in Brisbane and have found it hard to get into electrics, I am also a welder and have had to resort back to this trade just to earn some cash. If anyone is in Brisbane(carina) and could help out with this it would be much appreciated. (not looking forward to welding in summer). Cheers Rik.

Reply to A few Australia Question's.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net