Discuss A few questions for you. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pinky

Hi guys,

I have been working in the mechanical industry for 13 years now as a mechanical engineer but have gained a lot of experience from electricians within that time. My job for the last 5 years as engineering supervisor varies from boring paper work to replacing damaged wall sockets, single & 3 phase, replacing damaged electrical components such as motor contactors & overloads, sensors etc, rewiring mains leads on 3 phase and single phase equipment and PAT testing, building and installing motor inverters just to name a few. I have completed a one day course with cert for PAT testing. My first question is I'm I supposed to be doing this kind of work without the correct qualifications?

The company did employ an engineer with electrical qualifications but didn't pay him for the privilege so he refused to carry out any electrical work, (which I don't blame him). As you can imagine he wasn't round for long!

I have always enjoyed electrical work but have never pursued it, until now. My second question is where do I go from here? Do I need to complete the 2330 level 2 or can I go straight to level 3? Or do I do the 17th edition course? So many questions!

Also The Company is going through some changes with new lines being installed and I would like to take on the job, what qualifications do I need to be able to do the installation and certify the work?

Many thanks in advance, Pinky

Sorry should have posted on the newbe introductions thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I have been working in the mechanical industry for 13 years now as a mechanical engineer but have gained a lot of experience from electricians within that time. My job for the last 5 years as engineering supervisor varies from boring paper work to replacing damaged wall sockets, single & 3 phase, replacing damaged electrical components such as motor contactors & overloads, sensors etc, rewiring mains leads on 3 phase and single phase equipment and PAT testing, building and installing motor inverters just to name a few. I have completed a one day course with cert for PAT testing. My first question is I'm I supposed to be doing this kind of work without the correct qualifications?

The company did employ an engineer with electrical qualifications but didn't pay him for the privilege so he refused to carry out any electrical work, (which I don't blame him). As you can imagine he wasn't round for long!

I have always enjoyed electrical work but have never pursued it, until now. My second question is where do I go from here? Do I need to complete the 2330 level 2 or can I go straight to level 3? Or do I do the 17th edition course? So many questions!

Also The Company is going through some changes with new lines being installed and I would like to take on the job, what qualifications do I need to be able to do the installation and certify the work?

Many thanks in advance, Pinky

Sorry should have posted on the newbe introductions thread

Hi pinky ,

Thats a very interesting first post ,as far as which qualifications you need and which order to get them in ,others can advise you better than myself:)

What i will say is unless the companys planning a few years ahead ,i dont think you can get them in time:mad:

the way i would get around it, is to talk to your boss about over seeing the whole job ,like project manager ,that way you could do all the bits of the job you can do ok ,and sub out all the bits you cant , be honest with yourself about what you can do aswell ,theres a lot more involved than just connecting a machine up.

good luck:)

Thanks for the advise.

There are 2 phases to the installations, the first was completed last November, the second will be later this year November/December.

My manager has asked me a question relating to the newly installed equipment, "Do we have the installation certificates?" to which I replied "Errrrrr"!

It was installed by our in-house electrician who has now left. Do we need these certs?

Thanks again, Pinky

On the large factory site i work on the mechanical engineers without electrical quals have all been on a skill course (ie Empta, NVQ level 3) . After the course they work on motors, invertor drives, contactors etc and replace components and in the end obtain a good knowlege of industrial electrical work.
Regarding the certs, you still need to test the installation as it is "best practise" and the company insurer may want to se updated records.
I agree with rumrunner, I would get hold of a good industrial electrian and let him do the main install and you could connect the process lines.. doing this you also get the certs for the job and you may learn a few things on the way.

Agree with all of the above !

Make sure you get involved with the commisioning of the machine(s) so you get a good understanding of how they work, so when they go wrong its a lot eisier to diagnose the faults.

Reply to A few questions for you. in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock