Discuss A headache getting clarification re Solis inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all. Having a real headache trying to find out further details in regard to connecting a MODBUS smart meter to a Solis 5kW S6 inverter, Model S6-GR1P5K. Apparently, there are a couple of different versions - a 'Meter' version and a 'CT' version. The manual states that you must get the correct version depending on what you are using (meter or CT).

None of the suppliers I've contacted seem to know anything about this. Solis technical "support" have been about as helpful as a chocolate teapot and just parroting what the manual says. There doesn't seem to be any numbers or letters to differentiate the different types of inverter, either?

Thing is also, the menu structure on the inverter allows you to select 'Meter' or 'CT' - which does not make sense if there is a different model for each?

Anyone shed any light on this nonsense?

Pics attached!

CT or METER input.PNG
CT Meter description.PNG
CT Meter menu.PNG

Many thanks!

I have not used that method to control export but i have used Solis' separate EPM manager (at the intake) and connected it to two Solis Invertors 160M away over Modbus but connecting to the Modbus port on the invertors. The S5 model is a little cheaper and i know it works with EPM manager so at least you can deal with the 60M cable run. I think the worst case here is that the S6 may come expecting a directly connected CT clamp, although they are calling it a smart sensor, if it is a directly connected clamp you may struggle with a 60M run getting accurate readings. If you really want the S6 i would get back onto Solis and keep ringing until someone answers who understands the issue. Solis tech are not all bad depends who you get.
Good Luck

Yes, I want zero export and where the inverter is located is a good 60+ meter run from the main intake cabinet.
You can install either CT clamp on its own or meter with CT clamp and choose appropriate setting in the menu, however if you want to control export the clamp need to be installed just before cut out. You can either extend the cable (60m is not a problem but you might need to calibrate at the inverter) or use wireless device to transmit the signal

Reply to A headache getting clarification re Solis inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net