Discuss AC At Home Anyone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

To clean the heat exchanger at the back of the outdoor unit you need room away from the wall to get your hand in with a brush, otherwise it will get blocked being that low down. The lowest i mount them is around 6 inches off the floor as the fan will just suck crap off the floor and draw it into the back of the heat exchanger.
Best height is around 3-4ft off ground for ease of maintenance and less blocking of the fins

As @plugsandsparks said, keep it above ground level. Get the custom wall-mount brackets and elevate the unit by a couple of feet, slide it away from the wall on the brackets, and it's easy to clean, won't suck up debris, and will be more efficient with clean air all around. Plus, if you are using pre-made pipes, you have wiggle-room as to where the unit goes.

As @plugsandsparks said, keep it above ground level. Get the custom wall-mount brackets and elevate the unit by a couple of feet, slide it away from the wall on the brackets, and it's easy to clean, won't suck up debris, and will be more efficient with clean air all around. Plus, if you are using pre-made pipes, you have wiggle-room as to where the unit goes.

What are the custom brackets like? I only ever see them mounted on cantilevers with zebidees.

What are the custom brackets like? I only ever see them mounted on cantilevers with zebidees.
No idea, but ours were mounted on plastic legs:
dual-AC.jpg

I often see big units mounted on feet, but wondered about a neater solution for wall mounting. Periodically ponder the possibility of AC at home and, while I could live with cantilevers, a neater solution would be preferable.
Cantilevers have the advantage the ground is clear below, handy for sweeping out and similar. I guess some channel strut on the wall with anchors or Rawlbolts, etc, would support the arms OK so long as not insanely heavy.

Cantilevers have the advantage the ground is clear below, handy for sweeping out and similar. I guess some channel strut on the wall with anchors or Rawlbolts, etc, would support the arms OK so long as not insanely heavy.

I love strut. Think that comes from never having a mecanno set.

Fun fact that I only recently learned... Unistrut is an NI company, with its HQ about 5 miles from me. Started in a shed about 8 miles from here. I always thought the local place was just distribution.

Just like the brackets you get for hanging microwave ovens, only bigger. Rubber mountings, slide adjustment, not cheap but all in all good value. Used throughout Spain from my experience, where the A/C units have to be mounted high up on exterior walls. Slots in the upright legs allow for levelling too, and shims/washers under the feet give mini-adjustment.

Done loads of different mountings over the years, it really depends on the overall environment.
For commercially, ideally a purpose built "farm environment" where the ground is concrete, there is no vegetation within a mile, lol, you can run all containment in nice neat runs. A/C units mounted above anticipated snow level, nice spacing between them for servicing, easy access for lugging heavy cylinders and pumps for servicing. Units are bolted to the ground on raised pads.

I have used the custom brackets that can be bought from a/c wholesalers but have found they are largely powder coated steel, over time the coating fails and the brackets go rusty. There advantage is that they are easy to fit for smaller units as there is just a horizontal plate which the cantelever brackets clip onto.

My favourite is unistrut and their ready made cantelever brackets, use M12 Zebs and they can easily take the weight of the largest units. You can get covers and cap ends for unistrut and it does not look too bad for domestic, especially if you size the verticals no higher than the top of the outdoor unit and just a couple of inches below the bracket. Often use resin as well as rawl bolts when i think the bricks/blocks are too brittle.

For the really heavy units 100KG, etc i run the unistrut verticals down to the ground and use ground plates to take the vertical load and rawl bolts into brick/block.

I have used the big foot system
Big Foot Systems Aircon Spares | Air Conditioning Replacement Parts - https://www.airconspares.com/brands/big-foot-systems
But its rare as you are trying to reduce the movement of the outdoor units relative to the pipework, otherwise you can get leaks on the larger 5/8inch pipes and above that dont like to move much.

I love strut. Think that comes from never having a mecanno set.
I love strut as well, and I had a Meccano set!

The original and genuine sort using 5/32" BSW screws and 'odd bent' wire screwdriver.

EDIT:This sort of thing:

Mine are mounted at about 150mm above ground, about 75mm off a wall and have been working for over twenty years without problems, and without an expensive annual service, just give them a brush out when I remember, which is not often in fact I can't remember the last time I did this.

Fitting a 3 way split system this weekend at home.
got wall mount bracket for outdoor unit, will post some pics when done.
room 1 3.5Kw
room 2 and 3 are smaller so 2.5kw unit in each.
with a 7.5kw outdoor unit.

To clean the heat exchanger at the back of the outdoor unit you need room away from the wall to get your hand in with a brush, otherwise it will get blocked being that low down. The lowest i mount them is around 6 inches off the floor as the fan will just suck crap off the floor and draw it into the back of the heat exchanger.
Best height is around 3-4ft off ground for ease of maintenance and less blocking of the fins
I have some feet on their way already

I was given a wall bracket but did not want to drill into the render more than I needed too.

1687684202725.jpeg

Reply to AC At Home Anyone? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net