Discuss Additonal Meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good evening everybody.

I went to look at a job this afternoon where the customer wants an additonal meter putting in.

The first floor of the building is a flat and the ground floor is being converted into a shop. The 25mm tails & 16mm earth currently come from the existing meter, under the floor, up a wall and then through the floor into the flat. The existing gas and water is bonded in 4mm from the flat CU. The customer wants a new meter putting in for the shop. Whip out the tails into a henley block then to each individual meter.

However, it is a TN-S system, the earth consists of a few strands of ally from the cut out to a 2 terminal earth block, tails from the cut out to the meter are only 16mm so my thinking is that the main bullet is only 60A.

When I mentioned the earthing and fuse size etc, the customer wasn't really interested and I couldn't seem to be able to stress the importance to him. He just said that he wants a new meter putting in because the tools they are using in the shop keep on tripping the MCB's/RCD in the flat. When I asked if there was anything else he wanted he said no. So it was obvious to me that I was gonna put the meter in and he was probably gonna come straight out of it and into a socket for his tools.

My first instincts are to stay well away because (correct me if im wrong) I would ultimately be responsible for the whole installation including the flat with under size bonding and an excessively long run of tails without any sort of protection.

What are your guys thoughts?

Thanks, Ben

Id steer clear mate if he aint interested in earthing, safety etc then he's an idiot and i wouldnt put my **** on the line for idiots like this

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts exactly, you should see the state of the place. I wasn't keen when I walked in but beggars can't be choosers.

Just a quick update on this. The customer called me and said do whatever needs doing. Happy days

Last edited:

Reply to Additonal Meter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock