Discuss Advice on becoming qualified. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m just looking for some advice/ someone to point me in the right direction please.

Basically I worked as an electrician for 5ish years from when I was 18 to 23. I’m 25 now and want to get back into electrics but the only qualification I currently have is the AM2.
Is anyone able to help me out on where to start/ the best route to take to becoming fully qualified.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

How did you manage get AM2 without doing anything else first?

Just booked it via able skills

I'd imagine NET would be interested to learn that able skills allowed you to do so, if you didn't meet the requirements for any of the three routes to entry.

Fair play to you for passing it without any formal training.

As for your original question; I've no idea how to answer as it seems you have a decent qualification, yet lack the any underpinning qualifications that would be expected.

You may have the AM2, but you really need the NVQ 3 as at almost all places that would be the base level qualification.
Also 18th Edition.
How on Earth did you get that without the rest 😂

You may have the AM2, but you really need the NVQ 3 as at almost all places that would be the base level qualification.
Also 18th Edition.
I dont have AM2 because it was not about back in the day, i dont have NVQ3 for the same reason.
I do have C&G 236 parts1/2 plus 43 years experience . What are my chances of getting a job?
Getting on a bit 58 years old

Isn't AM2 still the sparks qualification of choice ?
Yes, but it’s only a part of it.
I dont have AM2 because it was not about back in the day, i dont have NVQ3 for the same reason.
I do have C&G 236 parts1/2 plus 43 years experience . What are my chances of getting a job?
Well yes, obviously it wouldn’t apply in your case. In this instance my points are valid.

Your qualifications were relevant at the time you served your apprenticeship and are therefore relevant to this day.

My sister sat O levels and two years later I sat GCSEs, but both are of equal relevance to employers or to satisfy entry requirements for people changing carreer later in life 😊

Also 18th Edition.
I’m sure I just phoned up and booked it lol.

So if I complete an NVQ level 3 and pass the 18th edition exam I can apply for a gold card?
Thanks.

To be eligible for an ECS Installation Electrician gold card, applicants must meet the following criteria and provide proof of:

1. A JIB recognised UK Level 3 Apprenticeship Standard or JIB approved UK competency based qualification (NVQ).
  2. Hold a current ECS Health, Safety and Environmental Assessment. For details visit the HS&E Assessment page
  3. A recognised BS7671:2018 qualification.

If you are not qualified to the Level 3 competency based qualification (NVQ) standard, or cannot provide certificates to prove your qualifications, you have the following options:
  1. The Experienced Worker Assessment helps operatives to become accredited at Level 3 standard

Wouldn't worry about the gold card. Means nothing, never had one, never seen one, never been asked for one. JIB is a dinosaur organisation who are trying to hang onto the industry. As for the qualifications, I'm surprised you got an am2 without everything else, usually it's the last stage. Next step probably look into doing your level 3 NVQ

I’m sure I just phoned up and booked it lol.

So if I complete an NVQ level 3 and pass the 18th edition exam I can apply for a gold card?
Thanks.

Check the ECS website for their criteria for a gold card.

Might just need AM2, 18th and H&S for a card. Get your 2391 amd you might get approved.

If you do need NVQ3, might struggle to get on a course unless you can prove prior learning / experience / qualifications etc…

Good luck with it all. 👍

Reply to Advice on becoming qualified. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net