Discuss Advice on how to get into the trade? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope this is in the right place, if not feel free to move to appropriate section.

So here goes, I studied electrical installations from 2005-2007 and gained my C & G "16th edition", not full NVQ just college side as I had no apprenticeship employment. Upon completing the course I found it hard to complete the apprenticeship due to the recession in 2008.

I decided to join the military for solid employment during this difficult time, I served 5 years and left after some great experiences and some not so good. I excelled in radio technology, and always preferred the techy side of things rather than the soldiering side.

So in 2013 I rejoined civilian life and became a postman to keep fit and keep the money coming in. With the idea that I could somehow fishing my qualifications plus experiance and become a fully fledge spark. So what I am after is some honest advice on how to go about this.

From my research it seems difficult, but I may have come across a way in. Is it possible to do my 17th ed 2382 C&G exam then apply for a ECS card as an electricians mate, then start applying for jobs with this title. Would this job role contribute towards completing my qualifications?

I feel I have so much to offer in this trade, and feel wasted as a postman. Basically I want to better myself and career. Any help would be massively appreciated.

From October the requirements for an ECS labourers card are changing, it seems you may need to be employed, but I could be wrong.
I wouldn't bother with the 2382 yet, you just need to get your NVQ3 (and your AM2 if it is not included in your course) when you apply for your JIB gold card you may need an 18th edition 2382 unless the JIB consider your NVQ to be to the current regulations
If you can't get your ECS labourer card then get the CSCS labourer card which will get you on site. Then get a copy of the Onsite Guide (if you don't have one) and some basic tools and apply for Electrician's Mate jobs

From October the requirements for an ECS labourers card are changing, it seems you may need to be employed, but I could be wrong.
I wouldn't bother with the 2382 yet, you just need to get your NVQ3 (and your AM2 if it is not included in your course) when you apply for your JIB gold card you may need an 18th edition 2382 unless the JIB consider your NVQ to be to the current regulations
If you can't get your ECS labourer card then get the CSCS labourer card which will get you on site. Then get a copy of the Onsite Guide (if you don't have one) and some basic tools and apply for Electrician's Mate jobs
Cheers for the reply. I'm now on the case, I have all the tools I need bar decent test equipment as that is beyond my allowance. I have quite a few other skills to go with this career path i.e plastering to a high standard, basic plumbing and decent joinery/construction abilities (stud walls, kitchens ect).
I feel quite boosted at the moment as I feel there is now hope.

Cheers Danny.

Reply to Advice on how to get into the trade? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net