Discuss Advice on schemes? And Sole trader advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

conrad

-
Reaction score
Sorry to be asking this...
Just set up on my own. commercial and domestic so wanting to apply for approved contactor. So its the Napit or niceic question???
Has anyone been with both and know the actual costs?
I seen on the nic website additional visit costs etc when would you incur this, if at all?
Im also unsure what the eca is as ive seen people say they're members of this along side a scheme???
Certification software? Any other tips for day planning etc.
Got a headache 3 weeks in haha but busy so its all good...

Conrad why Napit or NICEIC, I am with Stroma and cannot understand why you would go with a more expensive scheme, I have never had anyone domestic or commercial ask me what scheme I am with, as long as they get a certificate they do not seem to worry. I use electraform which costs £1 a certificate, as a new start up this could be a good way to start. Top tip, get a good accounting software package and put your expenses and all finances in on a day to day basis. Good Luck!

Nothing like a bit of forward planning:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Electraform I've looked at previously and for starting out at £1 a cert it would be worth a go, what's the worst that can happen, you go to Easycert or another and pay the fees to purchase the software and license it.

As for what Scheme, if looking Approved Contractor then its NICEIC. If just looking your Part P stuff done then whichever is cheapest, Stroma I believe. Costs and details will all be on each of their websites.

Nothing like a bit of forward planning:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
As for what Scheme, if looking Approved Contractor then its NICEIC. If just looking your Part P stuff done then whichever is cheapest, Stroma I believe. Costs and details will all be on each of their websites.

Approved Contractor? For the same money as their Part P scheme, Stroma will cover you for commercial, Third Party Certification, EICR's and PAT testing! Cannot really see anything that NICEIC offer which Stroma don't, in fact NICEIC don't offer third party certification, bit of a no brainer really!;-)

Conrad why Napit or NICEIC, I am with Stroma and cannot understand why you would go with a more expensive scheme, I have never had anyone domestic or commercial ask me what scheme I am with, as long as they get a certificate they do not seem to worry. I use electraform which costs £1 a certificate, as a new start up this could be a good way to start. Top tip, get a good accounting software package and put your expenses and all finances in on a day to day basis. Good Luck!

Thanks for reply... I thought Stroma was just domestic?? Ive set up quickbooks through my accountant at £6 a month.. Great bit of kit... Will have a look at electraform. The firm i woeked for used amtech and ive used easycert recently which i found good...
Any problems with clients or insurances specifically asking for nic and not accepting other schemes???

You dont need to be in a scam to do commercial, im with napit as theyre 360per year plus vat and basically leave me alone, very rarely even get inspected

I am a small sole trader registered with Stroma. I have had my business set up for around 6 years now. In all of that time I have been asked perhaps 10 times if I am registered to carry out work in houses and literally only once did someone ask if I was with NICEIC. Even then I explained I was with another organisation and they were fine with that.

I was an niceic approved contractor, moved to stroma about 4 years ago now and they are fantastic

Had my 4th assessment this Monday

They are UKAS equivalent to niceic, i work for councils, schools, etc no problem, eicrs, commercial, domestic

I would not hesitate to recommend

Dont swallow the nic cool aid you dont need them!

If I was just a domestic sparks putting up light fittings, changing boards and the occasional rewire I would probably choose Stroma but if you want to eventually work for bigger customers etc then I would choose the NIC as an approved contractor. Some don’t have the minerals to do work for the bigger customers due to payment terms or are content with changing socket fronts, putting up new lights etc for a living and can justify going with a less recognized scheme as they don’t want the hastle with the bigger customers/jobs. IMO bigger jobs are more of a risk but usually that means bigger rewards......

Niceic for me also.
For all the reason Lee mentioned above, my customers ask for Niceic so that's what I give them.
It's no good bringing a knife to a gunfight.:cool:

Im with the NIC, cost about £1k for assesment and first year (Renewal date coming up for everyone). Use Clik software which was £300ish then £100ish every year for renewing licenses. Set up is the expensive part. The new megger test kits are great if your looking for a all round tester.

Dont forget your books and not sure if you will now need your 18th edition for applications?

Edit: Amtech is also a very good sofware. Great for design double checking if you pay full package

Reply to Advice on schemes? And Sole trader advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock