Discuss Advice on this incomer please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Never seen this before so bare with me. Client asked me to look at there setup as looking for work to upgrade consumer unit, and what I thought was fuse was unsealed, so I thought I would look and see what size and found this. looking for advice. How do you rate size?
Surely this needs upgrading?
Screenshot_20230426_074337_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppliers responsibility, but how do you report it without admitting to pulling the fuse?

Get the work done, then deliberately blow the main fuse? (Don’t do that!)

Could report a power failure, say there’s no power even though there is. Suppliers engineer will visit and discover this themselves.

Some really old supplies were 30A and that could well be a rewirable fuse. But that does not look right - in that case there would normally be an asbestos pad or similar, or a much more substantial ceramic container, for the arc.

I suspect that ought to have a screw-in fuse of some sort that has been replaced by wire in the past. I would also say it is dangerous as I doubt it could safely clear the PFC from the supply.

As above, report there is a problem to the DNO and they ought to get someone out and almost certainly will replace that cutout.

99% of the time the person attending will be pleased to see a sparks there not a customer, and will be down to earth enough to appreciate the reality of the circumstances. Most of the time they think the situation about who is allowed to do what is as daft as we do. I've had them leave me some spare seals before!

Report a concern about the cut-out, say you are worried about the level of insulation (which is close enough!).
And just be honest when the chap turns up.

I don't recognise it, perhaps there is a maker's name on the cover? I think there is an important part missing: See the diagonal slots in the bakelite near the terminal screws? IMO there should be a ceramic or Sindanyo tube across the middle that slots in there, through which the fuse wire is supposed to be threaded before tightening under the screws. That wouldn't do a particularly good job of containing the arc on modern fault current levels, but at least it would stop it splashing all over the base and tracking across the contact blocks and mounting screws. Without the tube I would consider this quite hazardous if it blows and in need of replacement. Can't tell the rating, might only be 30A although that looks like 60A wire.

To me, it looks like the fuse wire should run under that central square. There’s a diagonal groove for it to lie in.

Too big to be 30A…it could be 60 or even 100?

I would think there should be a cover in the fuse holder to shield the terminals.

Thank you for all the replies. Going to contact the DNO 2moro SP Networks to request upgrade. Does anyone know if they charge for that or is it a free service they provide? If they charge does anyone know cost?

Reply to Advice on this incomer please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net