Discuss Advice to apprentice just starting out? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Voltimum UK

I'm currently at the final of the NICEIC Apprentice of the Year final. All young lads and are the top performing apprentices this year.
What piece of advice would you give an apprentice just starting out??

Warm the cups before you make the tea - it's the English way!
Work hard study hard and keep your eye on the game.

Milk first (barring tea of course!)
Get your phone away. On both my trial days I ignored it to the point of "you know you can answer your phone you know"

Be alert. Even if it's just a little job of all you're doing is passing screws. Think of what they need next and be ready with it.

Put the effort in because being an apprentice might be carp now but grin and bare it and think of those quals.

Buy your own tools. Even if it's just a hammer, level, driver and snips.
Our recent apprentice refused to buy tools other than a terminal driver all year with "I can't afford it" whilst going out every weekend. He didn't last long unfortunately.

Also don't get complacent with electricity. Might work with in day in day out. Double check it's dead and treat everything as if it's live.
I've replaced an outside light whilst it was live without knowing or figuring out due to miscommunication and trusting someone else for my own safety.

Milk first (barring tea of course!)
Get your phone away. On both my trial days I ignored it to the point of "you know you can answer your phone you know"

Be alert. Even if it's just a little job of all you're doing is passing screws. Think of what they need next and be ready with it.

Put the effort in because being an apprentice might be carp now but grin and bare it and think of those quals.

Buy your own tools. Even if it's just a hammer, level, driver and snips.
Our recent apprentice refused to buy tools other than a terminal driver all year with "I can't afford it" whilst going out every weekend. He didn't last long unfortunately.
Fits (mostly) with my experience as I write my own apprenticeship and loving it. Work to a standard, not to a rule or an example or an excuse. Too many experienced hands want to give you a hard time; just roll with it. I'm supplying more tea and biscuits along with every single tool and a vehicle for less than half of an experienced wage but my time will come.

My final suggestion; keep a diary. I'm learning SO MUCH I have to note it down every day otherwise I'd lose the critical details

Reply to Advice to apprentice just starting out? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net