Discuss AFFD's and new circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a quilified electrician that's been office based for the last two years, I'm a little out of touch so please go easy if this is an obvious question!

I'm having an extention on my home this year and been thinking about additions and it got me thinking, are AFFD's needed when installing a new circuit?

Thanks in advance.

not needed, but recommended in 18th ed.

Not required, but as usual recommended.

They are specifically recommended for premises with sleeping accommodation, be2, Ca2, cb2 and those with irreplaceable goods etc

Hopefully the price will come down, Wylex single module ones are £150ish each, also mr.monotone aka john ward did some videos and the single module ones seemed to be least effective

Cost balance seems off at the moment , advising seperate radial circuits (which they work on) and fancy protection ! ...Sales pitch...

(Protecting your delicate electronics may be of more interest -SPD)

Hi All,

I'm a quilified electrician that's been office based for the last two years, I'm a little out of touch so please go easy if this is an obvious question!

I'm having an extention on my home this year and been thinking about additions and it got me thinking, are AFFD's needed when installing a new circuit?

Thanks in advance.
You mean AFDD's....the third letter's ''Detection'' not ''Furkin' ''. ;)

Arc Fault Circuit Breakers are big in America and Canada where they have cheap nasty plugs , flimsy extension leads and twisted cables that often crackle and over heat causing arcing.

We have more solid plug tops and leads so Why on earth we want to use Arc Fault Breakers is beyond me...

I think it will be a sad state of affairs if they become a necessity.
It's another back up cover for the falling standards of the industry...….by unscrupulous money makers.

Reply to AFFD's and new circuits in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net