Discuss All advice gratefully recieved, C/U Change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Barker

Hello everyone,

I have just registered with the NICEIC to get onto the Domestic Installers Scheme, one of the jobs that I am doing for my assesment is a consumer Unit change in my own house.

The question is will I have to upgrade the metre tails to 25mm and the Shower supply which is currently 6mm up to 10mm, or as they are exsisting can they be left as long as they are in good condition.

As I say "all advice gratefully recieved"

Cheers.

Upgrade the tails to 25mm .the cable for the shower is determined by its current carrying capacity and hence also the power of said shower 7.5kw or 9.5kw etc.So you need to find the watts of shower then using ohms law decide if your cable is adaquate .Get swotting as these are the sort of things you really need to know to convey competence to the assessor

I just had my elecsa assessment on my own c/u and the guy said I would have to upgrade my tails to 25mm.

However if the fuse is 80amp the 16mm would of been ok. But of course you cannot tell unless you pull the fuse, He said he could not condone pulling the fuse.

It was already pulled and it was a 100amp.

By the way Elecsa will not finish the process of joining them until they have received proof that you have dealt with the non conformity. NIC will be the same I expect

The stupid thing about this is that on the other side of the meter the tails are 16mm but nobody cares about that of course.

It's unusual to see tails bigger than 16mm on the suppliers side & they don't upgrade 'em when they put a new meter in. Are the supply companies exempt from BS7671?

Did you inform building control first before your cu change, going to do my first assessment in the coming weeks not sure where the land lies with this.

I did inform building control first, so £60 poorer now.

I have upgraded the meter tails to 25mm they were a bit of a bugger to pull through :mad: but I got there in the end, it would have been easier with two people.

Now just tidying up and finishing of the little annoying bits then I should be all ready for the Assesor, Bring it on.

Oh yeah and fingers tightly crossed.:eek:

Good luck ! £60 is cheaper than Wokingham charged they were £125 for a cu upgrade the robbing people :mad: and that was after seeing my quals and design criterea. otherwise they wanted £475.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Barker,

Did the assessor ask if you had notified building control?
and
Did you have to pay for reassessment after you had upgraded the tails?

Cheers.

The assessor did not ask if I had notified building control. You do have 30 days to notify building control of course.

I did not have to pay for reassessment as emailing photo evidence would be sufficient.

Reply to All advice gratefully recieved, C/U Change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock