Discuss Almost that time of year in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
We made the mistake one year of letting our middle child watch the Eurovision Song Contest, and now she spends her time watching every countries successful, and the unsuccessful entrants.
Now the UK entry has been announced.
Of course last years compitition was cancelled, so I thought you’d might like to hear Iceland’s entry from last year.....

Another of those -togetherness , institutions.
(That is an EYE opener - about the mine field of )
( a) Committee decisions )
( b) Politics
( c) National pride / Petty actions )
( d) Society / Lies / Social media influence )
( e) A Deep rooted human interest in music )
( f) A step aside from the commercial side-infuence )
( g) ... Other factors ... Control / beyond my imagination )
..Its Just for FUN .... !

Last edited:
2 weeks to go until this years “competition” and these are my top 10 predictions.

1. UK will come last again. It’s getting ridiculous. Politics, brexit, wearing the wrong colour of socks… There really is no reason we come last so often, other than corruption within the Eurovision organisation itself. The UK media will spend the next month complaining, then start being all optimistic again come next March.

2. Someone will drop the F bomb live on stage.
I believe last time that happened was when Aqua were the half time show, and “Barbie girl” told her Ken to F off

3. A.J Odudu will announce the scores of the UK jury. An accent that most English speakers have trouble understanding, nevermind the rest of Europe. As bad as using someone from the Scottish Highlands

4. Ukraine will win. With a clear 200 points between them and 2nd place. Purely political of course. Although, at the moment, they won’t be able to host next year.

5. Female singers “wardrobe malfunction”

6. Just because a rock song won last year is no guarantee one will win this year. So all the countries that went rocky this year have wasted their chance. The Rasmus from Finland for example… last heard of in 2003 with “In The Shadows”

7. Subwoolfer from Norway will remove their masks and be revealed as Geordie jokers Ant and Dec..
Ok, I’m stretching things a bit there… but there is a rumour that they are the same people that are behind Ylvis… who had a song “what does the fox say” in 2013
Sorry, that songs in your head now.

8. Quirkiest act is Circus Mircas from Georgia. Will not make it past the semi finals.

9. The Latvian entry “eat your salad” will promote veganism across the world… forcing livestock farmers to ditch rearing animals.. many going out of business and thousands of cows and sheep being released into the wild as there’s no longer a market for the meat.

I’m struggling to think of things now

10. Someone’s staging will go wrong. Either on the backing screen plays wrong clip, or the pyrotechnics go off prematurely, or disastrously overdone.

Somehow I managed to read Ukraine as 'Spain'. Easy enough mistake to make, considering both names use letters from the alphabet.

Makes sense that Ukraine might have problems hosting, although Kyiv seems safe enough given that every world leader is able to walk about it's centre.

Stirring this thread up a bit now we know the 2023 contest will be held in Liverpool in lieu of Ukraine….

So is @Rockingit going to be involved? If so I’d like some backstage passes…

And if @telectrix could put us up, or let me park the caravan on his driveway…..do you do bacon rolls for breakfast, Tel?

Stirring this thread up a bit now we know the 2023 contest will be held in Liverpool in lieu of Ukraine….

So is @Rockingit going to be involved? If so I’d like some backstage passes…

And if @telectrix could put us up, or let me park the caravan on his driveway…..do you do bacon rolls for breakfast, Tel?
I've not been asked yet and it's slightly too early on. That said, my diary for next year looks rammed already so I'd almost certainly have to turn it down anyway. Besides, working with TV (which is what it is) is like plucking out your pubes one at a time using a pair of rabbits feet covered in grease for tweezers - as painful as it is slow. It takes a certain type of person to engineer the ways in which your ego parades 10' in front of you, and that ain't me!

I've not been asked yet and it's slightly too early on. That said, my diary for next year looks rammed already so I'd almost certainly have to turn it down anyway. Besides, working with TV (which is what it is) is like plucking out your pubes one at a time using a pair of rabbits feet covered in grease for tweezers - as painful as it is slow. It takes a certain type of person to engineer the ways in which your ego parades 10' in front of you, and that ain't me!
So thats a 'maybe'???

😄

Coming up to that time again. Resurrect this thread for Eurovision 2023!

What delights do we have this year? Let’s have a look….

Straight up, the UK entry has been getting played to death on radio for weeks now, and it’s a grower … might do ok.
Although the girl singing has been in a music video before… 2006, Mika… (who presented last year in Italy) on the song Grace Kelly. She was the little girl sitting on the piano at the beginning.

Returning to the competition is 2012 winner from Sweden, Loreen… and a couple of other randoms.

Australia sends a rock band with Voyager, and the song “promise”…. And the lead singer is an actual practicing lawyer!

The novelty acts this year include a duo singing about Edgar Allen Poe, which is surprisingly high in the betting odds.

Ukraine this year is a bit normal compared with last year… possibly still get the votes because of you know what…. But not a winner. Top 10 likely.

Top 10 predictions this year…. Considering I got 4/10 last year…. Let’s see if I can beat it.

1. UK will come middle of the board. Not near the top, but not bottom either.

2. There will be a stage invasion/ demonstration by Just Stop Oil, Extinction Rebellion or The Flat Earth Society

3. The half time show will be hotbed of Liverpudlian talent… including Mel C, Paul McCartney, John Bishop, Sonia, and would have included Lily Savage if it wasn’t for Paul O’Gradys passing.

4. The programme will mess up somehow…. Wrong camera, wrong microphone or wrong name of presenter.

5. Croatia try to be political and anti war, but end up in the news after not getting through the semi finals and starting a fight in a local pub.

6. Mae Muller, the UK entry goes way overboard with the stage production. Pyrotechnics, lasers, projections… just because she’s up last, and the BBC are using up their budget.

7. BBC mess up again when the VT operator mixes up Latvian and Lucian and plays a short interview with some guy and his collection of vintage electrical equipment. ;)

8. One country is disqualified when it is revealed their entry was written entirely by AI.

9. One performer will finish their song and say “thank you, London!”

10. The neighbourly voting that always causes controversy finally pushes graham Norton over the edge and he has a massive hissy fit.

Lets see how i did....
Spoilers at the bottom, if you haven't watched it yet.... Look away now.

1. UK will come middle of the board. Not near the top, but not bottom either. Second bottom. X

2. There will be a stage invasion/ demonstration by Just Stop Oil, Extinction Rebellion or The Flat Earth Society Nothing that i noticed X

3. The half time show will be hotbed of Liverpudlian talent… including Mel C, Paul McCartney, John Bishop, Sonia, and would have included Lily Savage if it wasn’t for Paul O’Gradys passing. Sonia, 1 out of 5... and Paul O Grady does appear in the BBC's adverts for the programme X

4. The programme will mess up somehow…. Wrong camera, wrong microphone or wrong name of presenter. Again, nothing i noticed X

5. Croatia try to be political and anti war, but end up in the news after not getting through the semi finals and starting a fight in a local pub. Did get through, and no bar fight. X

6. Mae Muller, the UK entry goes way overboard with the stage production. Pyrotechnics, lasers, projections… just because she’s up last, and the BBC are using up their budget. Nothing like that, but she did have trouble with a staircase... had to look at her feet to walk down it

7. BBC mess up again when the VT operator mixes up Latvian and Lucian and plays a short interview with some guy and his collection of vintage electrical equipment. ;) X

8. One country is disqualified when it is revealed their entry was written entirely by AI. X, although you could be mistaken for thinking some of them were....

9. One performer will finish their song and say “thank you, London!” X... Someone (important) being interviewed beforehand did say 'England" was hosting.... should have said "UK"

10. The neighbourly voting that always causes controversy finally pushes graham Norton over the edge and he has a massive hissy fit. X... although the usual greece/cyprus relationship wasn't there last night.

Ex winner from 2012, Loreen, won with the Finnish troll in second place.

Opening act shown Kate Middleton playing piano along to last years winners.

Some guy in audience waving the wrong "Po" around during Austria's performance.... (Tellytubby, not Edgar Allen)

Moldova's flute playing dwarf..... We sat trying to be politically correct in his description... avoiding the M word.... then my daughter says "he's only 50% loaded"....... I didnt teach her that!

The half time show had ex competitors singing songs linked to liverpool.... Including Dadi from Iceland singing Atomic Kitten's Whole Again.... (tedious link.... one of the Kittens is from liverpool and once entered for the UK in a previous girl group).... Israel's Netta doing Dead or Alive (Pete Burns was from liverpool) wearing inflatable Manga angel wings? Possibly?... and some woman splashing around in a paddling pool....Pool! oh... now i get it...

Then the "headliner" Sonia..... who came second in '93 to Ireland.

A cynic might suggest that Ukraine won last year, purely because of the war, and nothing to do with the song.
They might further suggest that the only reason UK came second, after years of abysmal scores, is because the 'fixers' knew Ukraine couldn't host and whoever came second would be highly likely to volunteer to host on their behalf... Who better than one of the Big Five money countries.

Next years host country will be Sweden, in the 50th anniversary year of ABBA winning with Waterloo. Also Swedish..... Its too much of a coincidence.... I predict the half time show next year will be mostly made up of ABBA's virtual concert

Eurovision final 2024 is on 11th of May, and same day as the new series of (Disney) doctor who starts… so that’s a night of sitting in front of the telly…. And possibly behind the sofa…

Not for the Daleks, for the Finnish entry!

So what have we got to look forward to this year?

The UK bucks the trend of normally having a relative nobody, so this year we’ve got Olly Alexander from Years And Years who has had pretty good pop tunes in recent years, and this one won’t be any different.
“Dizzy” sounds exactly what you would expect from Olly, and the opening notes are very reminiscent of “It’s A Sin” from the Pet Shop Boys.
The Uk is on last, so might do well.

Bonkers entry goes to “euro papa” from Joost Klein of The Netherlands. Think 90’s techno from Scooter, 80’s “rock me Amadeus” and a little bit of happy hardcore.

Swiss entry looks just like a clone of olly Alexander, but sounds different with a hint of operatic vocals

Aforementioned Finnish entry is called “no rules” performed by a duo led by “windows 95 man” who has already had his video for the song blurred to hide the windows logo on his t shirt on request from Microsoft

Daftest artist name goes to Baby Lasagna from Croatia, but the song “Rim Tim Tagi Dim” is fun.

There’s the usual slow ballads that might do well, a few rocky songs. Will have to wait and see if Israel gets to participate or not.

I’ll post my usual top ten predictions closer to the time.

Reply to Almost that time of year in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock