Discuss Am I a ----? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

I thought I’ll look for a picture of Pol Pot but he’s just too nice for me.
Maybe this one?
Pol_Pot_Nazista.jpg

I wonder if those who are offended by a photo of Rommel would be equally offended by a picture of Julius Ceaser or Alexander the Great? Both are hailed by history to be great generals but they both committed atrocities far worse than Rommel ever did.
Could be worse Damian, you could have a photo of some Thai pro's as your avatar :)

It would seem that there are some of you reading this who would think so, one person inparticular, due to the fact that I have some German World War II 'geezer' as my avatar.

This got me thinking because I did wonder whether people who maybe read the forum but don't often contribute, thus not knowing me, read what I say but can't get past the fact that I have this 'evil' man as my avatar. So... In order to prevent anyone getting their knickers in a twist I thought I might take the opportunity to give those of you who either don't know who the fella is, or think that he is some kind of ---- character, a little lesson in history.

The man in that picture to the left is Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, a highly decorated and highly respected German tank general during World War II. He is probably best known for his leadership of German forces during the 1941-1943 North Africa campaign.

Like many ordinary German men, he was going about his business one day as a German army officer, the next he was thrust into fighting a war on behalf of Adof Hitler. He was not a member of the ---- party, the Geheime Staatspolizei (Gestapo), nor was he a member of the Schutzstaffel (SS). He was just a regular guy.

Field Marshall Rommel was well respected by his British adversary Field Marshall Bernard (Monty) Montgomery. Rommel was well known to have disobeyed direct orders from the German high command during his time as commander of the 7th Panzer division during the 1940 invasion of France to deport French Jews. He wrote to Hitler many times to make known his disgust at the treatment of Jews. He also disobeyed direct orders to execute Jewish prisoners of war. As commander of the 15th and 21st Panzer divisions (Afrka Korps) during the North Africa campaign he was evidently a very professional man when it came to the treatment of captured British soldiers making sure that they were adequately fed, and treated with respect and humanity. Again, he disobeyed direct orders to execute captured British Royal Marines. Even after a failed attempt to capture Rommel by the British, the British Colonel who was killed in the attack was given a buriel with full military honours which Rommel himself attended to pay his respects.

After Rommel was implicated in a plot to kill Hitler, he was forced to commit suicide. After the war this information was brought to light by his son Manfred, who funnily enough, as a kid wanted to join the Hitler youth and was banned from doing so by his father. Field Marshall Montgomery was once quoted as saying "It's a shame I never had the opportunity to meet the man [Rommel] in person".

The reason for his picture as my avatar? Well it's simple really. I admire the man. I certainly didn't ever think that I may end up offending people by doing so?! I just stuck the fella's picture up that's all. I served as a main battle tank operator in the British Army and regularly read his work. Excerpts from Rommels books are to this day used to train soldiers in armoured warfare due to his knowledge as a brilliant military tactician. He coined the phrase Blitzkrieg (lightning war) due to his tactic of striking quickly during his offensive movements. "The key to securing victory is concentrating your strength at one point, forcing a breakthrough, rolling up and securing the flanks on either side, and then penetrating like lightning deep into his rear (ooh err ;)), before the enemy has time to react." is a quote I learned by rote during my phase 2 training to become a tank crewman. This quote is Rommel's.

So I come back round, full circle to my original question; Am I a ----? Well, I'll let you lot be the judge of that. One thing I can say however is that the gentleman in the picture to the left, Erwin Rommel, certainly was not!

Any of you still offended by my avatar? First I would emplore you to do your own research before jumping to small minded conclusions. Secondly, if you're still not satisfied, well, I guess you'll just have to stay offended won't you.

Peace

Just ignore the ignoramuses.

Here's one for you. Ever wondered what the world would have been like today if old adolf had won ?

I think he would have sorted the immigration issue out pretty damned smartish.

"Entry into Great Britain? - Certainly. Now just step this way, take a shower and you'll be processed very soon."

Nothing like a good debate on a Saturday night, as long as we can keep it on track!

Were german officers not by law required to swear an oath of allegiance to ---- party

Skelton are you still reading this thread? I was doing a bit of research there now, it seems the hitler oath was introduced in 1934 for new soldiers and after the july 20th plot for all soldiers had to reaffirm the oath, so if he was in wermacht since wwi, he mightn't have take it.

Either way i doubt he would have leant too much solemnity to it, in the same eamonn de valera considered the oath to the english crown an empty formula to achieve power

I suppose you think I should stand trial for war crimes considering I was a serving soldier under the regime of Herr Blair?! Hahaha

Wow!
No you shouldn't.
Damian you served your country, a job a lot of the members on here wouldn't have the courage to do.
Help the Heroes think it says it all really.

No you shouldn't.
Damian you served your country, a job a lot of the members on here wouldn't have the courage to do.
Help the Heroes think it says it all really.

I know I shouldn't lol. And I'm no hero, just a regular guy. The thing is, it's not about me mate. It's the strange notion that one can be attributed to crimes committed solely by his superior.

Someone's gone googoogaga if you ask me :D

I know I shouldn't lol. And I'm no hero, just a regular guy. The thing is, it's not about me mate. It's the strange notion that one can be attributed to crimes committed solely by his superior.

Do professional soldiers not have a responsibility to refuse orders if those orders are criminal

During the nuremberg trials the stock answer was that " i was merely following orders"

Reply to Am I a ----? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net