Discuss Am I a ----? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

maybe, but in the case of rommel, orders were to fight an enemy army. that's not a criminal order.

But if your boss when you were in the army ordered you to do something that was not nice then both of you would be charged .
Would that be right or just the man giving the orders would be charged ? ?

But if your boss when you were in the army ordered you to do something that was not nice then both of you would be charged .
Would that be right or just the man giving the orders would be charged ? ?

Everyman is responsible for his own actions but thee is a difference in war crime and being "not nice"

Hi again,
Following on from my earlier post and the post from rapparee above, I did a lot of reading some time ago about the Nuremberg war trials. To be honest I was in s**t state after reading some of the transcripts and I cannot in anyway defend German officers from WW2.
I hear what you are saying , but to me there is no protection than can be afforded to people that can do that to another human being.
I was also a tank commander in Germany, but like I said I have no animosity to Germany of today; only Germany of the past!

Regards.

Have grown quite used to it and not offended in the least didnt know it was Rommel and did think it was an ss officer or simmilar(I stand corrected)
I look at the avitar first and if I reconise it dont need to look at the poster.

[h=2]
icon1.png
Am I a ----?[/h]
No, next question.

Great reply Mr Skelton. If anything your avatar has educated me. A while back I might add.

Back to the Jennings Snecklifter. I'd buy you one if you were close by.

but you're not so in the words of Terry Thomas

"hard cheese old boy"

Pope Benedict came under criticism for his membership of the Hitler Youth, what people forgot was that membership of that organisation was not optional.
Not every German was a supporter of Hitler.
Not every supporter of Hitler was involved in the final solution.
Not every member of the SS was a concentration camp guard. There were divisions that were the equivalent of todays special forces.
My point? You don't tar everyone with the same brush. Study history before categorising.

Damien,
As much as we have crossed swords, here and elsewhere, I would never consider you a ----, a person of forthright opinions, yes, always right, no, not in my opinion, however, as has been established, you don't always agree with me either!
To be honest, I took your avatar to be a tribute to a great tank commander, I'm not sure, but, I thought you were ex forces, tank regiment, type?
Just because the person was not an Allied Commander, does not immediately make him a bad soldier, or a bad person.
The scenario in ---- Germany was not as clear cut as some may believe I am led to understand.
I worked for a German company and after several beers one night, several of us got talking, both UK & German, the heated, but polite discussion was enlightening.

I suspect that there were several Allied commanders that would have taken Rommel as a genuine defector, and made good use of his skills, regardless of his insider knowledge.

Now, lest we forget, but, don't automatically condemn the "foot soldier", nor the commander, necessarily, as both were working under orders from a superior, and, lilely under threat of death possibly.

Reply to Am I a ----? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net