Discuss Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ok , so i completed 2365 level 3, and also 17th edition. At my place of work , I'm the go to guy, as well as another very experienced electrician, to do the electrical work. They don't seem to have a problem with me not having the nvq completed ( maybe naive) . I've had some issues with a new contract, and am seeking more pay. but am basing it on my quals that i already have, do i have a ground to fight for better pay?

4 years experience and 2365 level 3, i also have engineering maintenance level 2 nvq, IOSH, HACCP , 17th edition. Surely with these quals i can insist on this?

This is an engineering environment predominantly, but of course electrical work needs doing too.

I would say no if im honest, until you have completed the NVQ and Am2 you cant deem yourself an Electrician. I can swap a washer on a tap but i cant call myself a plumber. If im really honest your not really an Electrician until you have been qualified for a few years and have experienced a large variety of the different work areas, i.e. Domestic, Commercial and Industrial.

You can call yourself whatever you want lol.....the term "Electrician" is not a protected one. However, the JIB will grade people as Electricians , Approved etc and firms recognise this as it's the only reasonable system we have. They want NVQ3 for you as you have a later qual though..... old school can grade with 236 2360 or whatever.

You can call yourself whatever you want lol.....the term "Electrician" is not a protected one. However, the JIB will grade people as Electricians , Approved etc and firms recognise this as it's the only reasonable system we have. They want NVQ3 for you as you have a later qual though..... old school can grade with 236 2360 or whatever.

Thanks for the reply

Why didn't you do the NVQ? If you're working as an Electrician and you think you're an electrician then it'll be easy enough.
I'm fully qualified with 7 years experience and I don't truly feel like I'm done learning yet.

Call yourself what you want mate. People can go on a 4 week course join a CPS scheme and call themselves an electrician.

I have not done the AM2 nor have a JIB card....

Reply to Am i entitled to call myself a sparky? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net