Discuss An unusual electrical fault to find. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I work in a large public services building near my home town and it consists of wiring that was done back in the 1950's (perhaps 12/13th Edition?) when the first buildings were erected using V.I.R. cables right up to the latest 18th Edition wiring that includes "phase matched UPS/IPS" systems and "quinetic" lighting control systems.

Here are some photos of a fault that I was working on this week where there was no supply getting to a light fitting. The switches are very old mercury tilt light switches and one of the vials had fractured causing the mercury to leak out. The mercury was held at a live potential and shorted to earth. Took me ages to find the problem.

I just thought some of you would be interested to see some photos.

An unusual electrical fault to find. Mercury residue - EletriciansForums.net

An unusual electrical fault to find. Switch connections - 2 - EletriciansForums.net

I have a socket somewhere with a mercury switch. So what happens now with the mercury on the loose issue.

I have a socket somewhere with a mercury switch. So what happens now with the mercury on the loose issue.

I was instructed to close the switchplate up and my team leader has sent for the "decontamination team" to clean out the switchbox. No doubt I'll be back to revisit it and isolate the switches from the supply for the team to work at them.

Those switches are rare and interesting, thank you for posting. If there is any chance of saving any intact ones, I would be very keen to discuss. They were commonly used where explosive atmosphere might be present such as in operating theatres, but rare in general wiring work.

I once found an odd effect in an auxiliary house-lighting circuit in a theatre, where there seemed to be a short delay between operating a switch and the lights responding. This was due to a mercury relay hidden in a CI box in the wall, long since plastered over and forgotten, still controlling the circuit.

I remember Mercury.
That was that interesting stuff we used to roll around the Chemistry lab desks in the 60's.

Oh, and the same stuff they mixed with glue and pushed into holes in my teeth.
Just checked , it's still in use today the NHS Amalgam fillings.

Reply to An unusual electrical fault to find. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock