Discuss Another post from the American Forum that you Might Enjoy. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Santa

-
Reaction score
Note that this is in no way an electrician's forum:

How many feet can you run wire from electric meter?
Concerned about voltage drop. And question might need to be, how many feet of electrical wire can I run from the transformer. I will give the details. Underground transformer is located on 42 acres in CO. Electric meter is located on a pole about 30' from it with 200 amp service.

AIUI, I believe it is 5% that some electricians consider the maximum voltage drop you want to experience and still not cause problems for electrical devices and appliances which may not have them run properly, if at all, and if they do, could still lead to them wearing out prematurely. Have welders, plasma cutter, and air compressor that I'd like to keep for a long time and don't want to make a mistake with the voltage.

For national code standards, does it list what gauge wire for a 200 amp box, and how many feet from meter would you estimate to still keep me under 5% voltage drop, if that is indeed the figure used? A ball park figure would be fine for now.

I want to move my cabin and building to a new location and was hoping for a better site without having to move transformer because that would be even more costly, especially since it's on the steep side of a mountain.

Read on for the advice he got: h ttps://boards.straightdope.c om/sdmb/showthread.php?t=860809

Last edited by a moderator:
ain't them septics heard of reducing lugs?

straight dope alright! Id like to know what kind dope those dopes are smokin?
while some of the info is good there are a lot chiming in that should not be there

Note that this is in no way an electrician's forum:

Read on for the advice he got: h ttps://boards.straightdope.c om/sdmb/showthread.php?t=860809
In the interest of world peace I've changed the link in your post to one that's not clickable by adding a couple of spaces in it. From past experience crosslinking between forums and debating the merits of their threads can cause animosity and start problems.

Reply to Another post from the American Forum that you Might Enjoy. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock