• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Another post from the American Forum that you Might Enjoy. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Santa

Regular EF Member
Note that this is in no way an electrician's forum:

How many feet can you run wire from electric meter?
Concerned about voltage drop. And question might need to be, how many feet of electrical wire can I run from the transformer. I will give the details. Underground transformer is located on 42 acres in CO. Electric meter is located on a pole about 30' from it with 200 amp service.

AIUI, I believe it is 5% that some electricians consider the maximum voltage drop you want to experience and still not cause problems for electrical devices and appliances which may not have them run properly, if at all, and if they do, could still lead to them wearing out prematurely. Have welders, plasma cutter, and air compressor that I'd like to keep for a long time and don't want to make a mistake with the voltage.

For national code standards, does it list what gauge wire for a 200 amp box, and how many feet from meter would you estimate to still keep me under 5% voltage drop, if that is indeed the figure used? A ball park figure would be fine for now.

I want to move my cabin and building to a new location and was hoping for a better site without having to move transformer because that would be even more costly, especially since it's on the steep side of a mountain.
Read on for the advice he got: h ttps://boards.straightdope.c om/sdmb/showthread.php?t=860809

Last edited by a moderator:

DPG

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
DIY
I like this line:
and then cutting back a few strands so the ends will fit in the lugs, will reduce the overall wire resistance and the voltage drop will be less.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Solar Guru
Trainee Access
DIY
ain't them septics heard of reducing lugs?

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
They may level that cosmetic comment at Prince Charles , they think the families quaint .
Getting rather personal static, about our Royal Family.

static zap

Regular EF Member
Getting rather personal static, about our Royal Family.
..It's not a beheading offence ( I hope) ?
(I too actually have his affliction - and it's who you are ...)
Just trying to get into politics emulating a Borris / Trup !

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
..It's not a beheading offence ( I hope) ?
(I too actually have his affliction - and it's who you are ...)
Just trying to get into politics emulating a Borris / Trup !
What inbreeding

gnuuser

retired Industrial wire monkey
straight dope alright! Id like to know what kind dope those dopes are smokin?
while some of the info is good there are a lot chiming in that should not be there

Marvo

Admin and gender confused
Staff member
Admin
Note that this is in no way an electrician's forum:

Read on for the advice he got: h ttps://boards.straightdope.c om/sdmb/showthread.php?t=860809
In the interest of world peace I've changed the link in your post to one that's not clickable by adding a couple of spaces in it. From past experience crosslinking between forums and debating the merits of their threads can cause animosity and start problems.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.