Discuss voltage drop running 50 amps 350 feet from service pole. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello. i need to run power to a cabin that is 350 feet from the service pole in our driveway. the problem is voltage drop. the service pole is 150 feet from the transformer so total run is 500 feet.
is it possible for a diy'er to purchase a small transformer that would bring the voltage up? (i cant find any online)
current plan is to run 6/3 uf-b underground and only wire 2- 15 amp breakers. according to the charts the voltage drop with limited amp draw should be ok.
is this my best bet or is there a better way. We don't need a lot of power up there but 30 amps is about the minimum. any advice is appreciated.

I moved it hoping one of our American members will pick up on it.

Definitely one for the likes of @Megawatt

I would not consider connection to the service pole as a DIY sort of activity?!

Is this going to be two-phase (120-0-120V)? If so then using something like #3 AWG copper cables ought to be OK for 30A total current, but you should check the feed breaker to the cable is able to disconnect on a fault OK (it should be if around 30A as well).

Having a voltage compensation arrangement in possible but expensive, a simple transformer would result in a higher off-load voltage so a satisfactory solution would end up being something as costly and inconvenient as a UPS that electronically regulates the supply (though that has other advantages).

hello. i need to run power to a cabin that is 350 feet from the service pole in our driveway. the problem is voltage drop. the service pole is 150 feet from the transformer so total run is 500 feet.
is it possible for a diy'er to purchase a small transformer that would bring the voltage up? (i cant find any online)
current plan is to run 6/3 uf-b underground and only wire 2- 15 amp breakers. according to the charts the voltage drop with limited amp draw should be ok.
is this my best bet or is there a better way. We don't need a lot of power up there but 30 amps is about the minimum. any advice is appreciated.
Your not looking at 500 feet because if it’s a 150 to the primary feeding the transformer which is the power company’s problem. If you upped your wire size to # 3 copper should be fine with 50 amps at least bump it up to # 1 copper for 30 amps

Is this going to be two-phase (120-0-120V)? If so then using something like #3 AWG copper cables ought to be OK for 30A total current, but you should check the feed breaker to the cable is able to disconnect on a fault OK (it should be if around 30A as well).

Having a voltage compensation arrangement in possible but expensive, a simple transformer would result in a higher off-load voltage so a satisfactory solution would end up being something as costly and inconvenient as a UPS that electronically regulates the supply (though that has other advantages).
yes it is 120v. the service pole was hooked up by an electrician. there is a panel there with the meter and a couple of outlets wired. i cant have the power company or an electrician run the wire the remaining 350 feet to the cabin because my lot is right on bedrock and they would have to set ledge poles, doubling the cost and i cant afford it.
i will investigate the ups idea.
so that would be 1 #3 copper hot wire and then #6 nuetral and ground? would the 6/3 ufb be acceptable with only 15 amps on each hot?
thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Your not looking at 500 feet because if it’s a 150 to the primary feeding the transformer which is the power company’s problem. If you upped your wire size to # 3 copper should be fine with 50 amps at least bump it up to # 1 copper for 30 amps

would the #3 wire need to be buried in conduit? would the 6/3 ufb carrying 15 amps per hot achieve the same result?
thanks very much for the info.

would the #3 wire need to be buried in conduit? would the 6/3 ufb carrying 15 amps per hot achieve the same result?
thanks very much for the info.
Yes because the only # 3 you can get is THHN single strand wire so you would need the length of the run times 3 and one # 6 ground. The code book allows for 1 inch conduit but it would be a tough pull. You could raise your conduit to 1 1/4 or use a lot of gel. The ditch is required to be 18 inches deep

To stop voltage drop just go up on your wire size

Reply to voltage drop running 50 amps 350 feet from service pole. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock