Discuss Any DIY joiners on here? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
After 12 years, ive decided to refloor the kitchen in our house. The cabinets are ok... so just a new floor.
I'm going with laminate that looks like concrete slabs... but my style and taste aside, whats the best way to edge the flooring?
Tight to the skirting board? instructions say to leave a gap for expansion. If i leave a gap, will the gap get filled by crap over time?
Ive laid laminate before and glued scotia strip moulding to the skirting. Looked awful!

Got 3 doors and a patio door to navigate around too.

I know i could ask on a joinery forum, or ask a mate.... but i thought id ask you trustworthy lot for your suggestions first.

normally use an edging strip to cover the 10mm ish expansion gap eg

Any DIY joiners on here? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Any DIY joiners on here? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

or depends how good you are with the silicon gun could kill the gap with a colour matched silicon

The flat edging looks good. Ive used the angled moulding before.
Not bad with the old silicon gun... if I can get a dark grey, it would match the artificial grout lines on the laminate pattern.
Will be using a multitool to cut the bottom off the door architraves and slip the board under

I just used the edge moulding like the top pic, but coloured to match the skirting not the floor. Unless you're going to drop the skirting into the laminate after fitting it's the only way really.

Ive already got the flooring from howdens. Suitable for kitchens it says on the pack. I wouldn’t use it in a bathroom.

I was hoping not to take the skirting off as some of it extends behind the kitchen units.

I’m just trying to convince the wife I know what I’m doing

Unless you take skirtings off then the only way is to use scotia bead really. If you have any stop ends where it meets a door for example then cut the end at 45 degree and cut another bit to fit the angle. I would brad nail the scotia on to the skirting and fill and paint it along with the skirting . Scotia looks naff though imo and I would have the skirtings off if decorating. And use a sliding bevel to get your angles to cut any miters.
You can use the bevel to intersect the angle and set up your mitre saw.
[automerge]1568148448[/automerge]

Take a look at this video....this is the easiest way to intersect angles and set up your saw. Ignore the accent....I think he’s one of @telectrix mates.

Last edited:
you can undercut the skirting if you don't want to take it off, but I struggle to think of a tool that would make it easy. Normally you'd just undercut with a multi-cuttter around door frames and the like that aren't easy to remove, not the whole skirting.
Another option is to put some of that compriband or some other foam tape in the gap, keep the muck out.

Reply to Any DIY joiners on here? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock