Discuss Any experience with Dimplex pilot wire? (isolation) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As title, does anyone have experience installing dimplex panel heaters with control by DXRXPW4 4 zone controller?

It seems the pilot wire is 230v but I'm not sure how this should be isolated. Lets say you have 6 2kw heaters all on their own MCB. If you then supply the controller via a FCU and run a pilot wire in series to all 6 heaters, is there any way this pilot wire supply can 'backfeed' through to mains supply in one of the heaters. Wouldn't want to isolate one heater at consumer unit and then get a belt off it as the pilot wire switches on!

Obviously if the two supplies are indeed separate I was thinking of DP isolation next to each heater and a label saying pilot wire needs isolation at controller FCU before work.

Seems like a bit of a fudge from Dimplex (why not use ELV) whose literature isn't of much help. I called them and they weren't all that knowledgeable to be honest! May try again and hope I get someone who knows the answer but thought I'd try here too.

Hi guys,

As title, does anyone have experience installing dimplex panel heaters with control by DXRXPW4 4 zone controller?

It seems the pilot wire is 230v but I'm not sure how this should be isolated. Lets say you have 6 2kw heaters all on their own MCB. If you then supply the controller via a FCU and run a pilot wire in series to all 6 heaters, is there any way this pilot wire supply can 'backfeed' through to mains supply in one of the heaters. Wouldn't want to isolate one heater at consumer unit and then get a belt off it as the pilot wire switches on!

Obviously if the two supplies are indeed separate I was thinking of DP isolation next to each heater and a label saying pilot wire needs isolation at controller FCU before work.

Seems like a bit of a fudge from Dimplex (why not use ELV) whose literature isn't of much help. I called them and they weren't all that knowledgeable to be honest! May try again and hope I get someone who knows the answer but thought I'd try here too.

Just looked these up. Bit of a carp design IMO with the pilot wire being LV.

I can say whenever the black wire is live the brown wire is also live and vice versa. When we manufacture them the tester puts the black wire in a screwit to prevent himself getting an electric shock.

Sounds like a terrible design. Customer is keen on using them though. Need to suggest alternatives as I don't fancy using this system.

Recommendations for heating a medium sized office/storage space electrically with one programmable thermostat? Cost is an issue. Could use a 230v programmable stat to control panel heaters via contactors I suppose.

Sounds like a terrible design. Customer is keen on using them though. Need to suggest alternatives as I don't fancy using this system.

Recommendations for heating a medium sized office/storage space electrically with one programmable thermostat? Cost is an issue. Could use a 230v programmable stat to control panel heaters via contactors I suppose.

What about using the same heaters but the MBS configuration?

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/d..._fronted_xx_range/control_options_1_4Zone.htm

MBS starts to get expensive when you look into it. You need a receiver unit in each heater. Also read reports of it being potentially unreliable, especially across multiple circuits.

Is it the running costs or install costs that are tight? Rointe do a decent heater

Install costs really. We originally suggested Rointe but the dimplex panel heaters are coming in less than half the price. With proper control, running costs should always be the same as electric heating is 100% efficient?

Reply to Any experience with Dimplex pilot wire? (isolation) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net