Discuss Any good ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have a cooker hood fan over a cooker with no easy external access. So I ducted the extractor outlet and added a fan on the exit to assist with the flow. Ran the fan power back outside the duct and fed it from the cooker hood fan so they run together.

found this on a "ask the expert" site ...
A minimum of 750mm clearance is required above a gas hob and 650mm above an electric hob to a cooker hood...
I use 750mm too and measure it from the top of the pot stands to the bottom of the extractor. I have seen a few extractors with heat damage that have been lower, and even a couple of heat damaged wall units that were at the right height but not set back from the edge of the hob. These would have all seen heavy use though.

Last edited:
Depends whether he actually wants it to work properly or is he just going through the motions?

You probably need to (Carefully) cut out a central section and move the existing extract to there, you also need to consider cleanable filtration the cheapest working option long run would be something like the one below. The load bearing lintel will be the bit under the brickwork, the rest is likely to be a cast concrete slab. Just man up and cut it out, oh and use a dust mask!:)

http://www.johnlewis.com/siemens-lb...1rxKXG3A0ez_SXVXd9r3vxoCKZPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

What is the measurement above the lowest point of the existing concrete slab then, what I have listed needs to mounted into a hole cut into the slab, is there not enough space?

tell him to enter the real world and accept the fact that he either has to raise the lintel or have a bodge job done instead. You cant polish a turd.

It's not really about polishing a turd now is it, it's about making the best of a bad situation with minimal cost and disruption.

HT. How old is the house? I'm surprised the lintel covers the whole of the bottom of the chinney breast. Do you know what the existing liner was used for? Was it a wood buring stove or Arga. They're quite popular down here in sleepy Surrey. ;-)

Well I'm not sure the technical name for it, but it was home to a big gas powered range that also provided heating for the house (plumbing pipes were removed from it). I'm going to have to go back and take another look because I'm now working off memory and a couple of photos.

my guess would be a Rayburn. that's a poor man's Aga, but they burnt any old crap and heated water and radiators if added.

It's not really about polishing a turd now is it, it's about making the best of a bad situation with minimal cost and disruption.

He sounds like a cheap Bastar**, people will try and waste your time accommodating their stupid ideas and when it backfires they will look to you for answer or to blame. If your there re-wiring he might as well do it now as the mess will be fairly minimal.

Reply to Any good ideas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net