Discuss Any good ideas? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

Please see the attached files, I'm needing some ideas and possibly some out of the box thinking.

This is a surround for an old range cooker in that house of my mate's that I'm rewiring. He's planning to put a range style cooker here but we need to think about extraction. At the top is a concrete lintel, 1620mm is the height of the opening, and there's some ducting in the corner as you can see - this is 150mm diameter, and although it can be cut to shorten, it would be a pain to remove and replace.

Originally we were going to build down a false layer to hold a hood, but given the new range would be 900m height this would bring the gap between cooker and hood to about 500mm. So the next idea was to fit a standard kitchen extractor unit (like a wall mounted one) to the current ducting, but I don't think it would be fit for purpose and would get splattered in grease. If we did go down this route however, I think LED tape would be up to the job of lighting the area in place of the lights built in to a typical hood.

So, any bright ideas anyone, extraction mainly.

View attachment 35104

View attachment 35105

View attachment 35106

Does seem to make sense to try and use the current flue for the extraction. Is it very sooty? will that fall back down into the extractor unit?

Could an extractor be mounted above the lintel and knock back into the flue?

Knock chimney breast out and use a standard wall mounted extractor ?

Either that or remove the cover from a wall mounted extractor so it can be lifted higher. Build a custom cover and mount for it.

fit a new lintel 4 brick courses above existing lintel. then knock out old lintel and the 4 course of bricks . that will give space for a normal extractor hood.

I know the removal of the lintel is going to be the best solution, but he's made it very clear to me that he doesn't want to touch it. I do like the idea of using some sort of extractor with a custom grill - that could be a way forward.

I was scratching my head over coffee on HT's problem and have learnt from these great ideas. For me, making the opening the right size would be the go, as you are back to standard products and performance. Cheers.

I know the removal of the lintel is going to be the best solution, but he's made it very clear to me that he doesn't want to touch it. I do like the idea of using some sort of extractor with a custom grill - that could be a way forward.

At that height you will struggle to be honest. Above a gas burner the minimum clearance is usually 700mm to avoid heat damage to the extractor.

700mm is fine until you do what i did..... left the chip pan on and forgot about it. extractor melted, along with wall units charred and smoke damage to ceiling etc. now got a dual basket deep fat fryer set up in garage, far less grease stains in the kitchen as an additional benefit.

I've ran the ideas so far past him, he loves the downdraft extractor, but not the price of it. He's really wanting to avoid working on moving the lintel, and as it stands is leaning strongly towards a fan mounted to the ducting and some LED tape to help light the area up. That's going to give us clearance of around 720mm but please keep the ideas coming.

found this on a "ask the expert" site.

A minimum of 750mm clearance is required above a gas hob and 650mm above an electric hob to a cooker hood. The gap may be reduced to 727mm above a gas hob but the hood must be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire hazard. Wall units either side of a hood must be at least 366mm above. A minimum of 300mm clearance is required either side of the hob if installing next to a larder unit or flammable material.

However, if the hood manufacturer specifies a less distance, this should be taken int consideration.

How far back from the front does the lintel go? If I was using that chimney liner I'd want it positioned centrally. Would it be possible to re position centrally an incorporate the extracter into the bottom of the chimney flush with bottom of the lintel? You'd have to remove the insulating material from around the liner to reposition though. Personally I'd look to take out chimney breast completely as the lintel is far to low IMO and wouldn't look right.

Where is the other end of the duct? Would it be possible to mount a remote fan unit at the far end then just have a grille at the cooker end?

found this on a "ask the expert" site.

A minimum of 750mm clearance is required above a gas hob and 650mm above an electric hob to a cooker hood. The gap may be reduced to 727mm above a gas hob but the hood must be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire hazard. Wall units either side of a hood must be at least 366mm above. A minimum of 300mm clearance is required either side of the hob if installing next to a larder unit or flammable material.

However, if the hood manufacturer specifies a less distance, this should be taken int consideration.

Is this distance recommendation or is it set in stone with building regulations or the like?

How far back from the front does the lintel go? If I was using that chimney liner I'd want it positioned centrally. Would it be possible to re position centrally an incorporate the extracter into the bottom of the chimney flush with bottom of the lintel? You'd have to remove the insulating material from around the liner to reposition though. Personally I'd look to take out chimney breast completely as the lintel is far to low IMO and wouldn't look right.

Not possible to reposition the existing ducting. The lintel goes the full depth of the surround. This install is on an old cottage, and I quite disagree that it wouldn't look right. In fact, I think if we get it right it will look stunning.

Where is the other end of the duct? Would it be possible to mount a remote fan unit at the far end then just have a grille at the cooker end?

The duct is cut through the lintel in the back corner as you can see in the pictures, it then rises in the stack about a foot above the top of the lintel and exist through the wall to the outside. I'm not sure there's any room to mount a fan in this short run, and besides, it wouldn't be accessible if the stack if filled back in afterwards.

The duct is cut through the lintel in the back corner as you can see in the pictures, it then rises in the stack about a foot above the top of the lintel and exist through the wall to the outside. I'm not sure there's any room to mount a fan in this short run, and besides, it wouldn't be accessible if the stack if filled back in afterwards.

With a remote fan unit it normally gets mounted externally over the end of the duct rather than inline,

Reply to Any good ideas? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock