Discuss Any takers on this CU/tails change? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ad a great job today, thought i'd share it with ya, take alook at the photo of where the cu is, no doubt people will have had worse. scale of 1 - 10, how bad ya think it is, 1 bin ez, 10 bin hard??

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/lukescotty/Photo00390.jpg

i relocated it to the otherside of the wall :)

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa84/lukescotty/Photo0044.jpg

wud you have done the same?

regards luke

uummm kitchen fitters again???.........:mad:

Well the option weren't great for you really but to move the board in a more accessible location and of course change to MCB's.

A couple of points that popped up in my head straight away on your new board is the height seems very low down - Floods?

And the proximity of the metal pipes in the corner close to the new board?

give him a break !!

If it floods surely the socket outlets get wet first! any way how do you know it isn't in a block of flats.

i was more concerned with the lack of dust sheet on the carpet!

give him a break !!

If it floods surely the socket outlets get wet first! any way how do you know it isn't in a block of flats.

i was more concerned with the lack of dust sheet on the carpet!

Yep I guess the sockets would make a smaller bang and didn't realise CU heights were different in flats.

lol, am not offended, the company I work for have a contract with the council. There ok with it, oh n there bungalows btw. You ought to see the other one down the road, new kitchen, completely boxed it. lol, that job were abandoned

lol, am not offended, the company I work for have a contract with the council. There ok with it, oh n there bungalows btw. You ought to see the other one down the road, new kitchen, completely boxed it. lol, that job were abandoned

Luke I'm glad your not offended by post that really wasn't my intention.

I'm sorry I had my Inspection hat on for a split second and what I typed had jumped into my head at the first glance of your pic.

I bet you had great fun in the kitchen cuboard......and BTW you don't fool me all the dusts in the kitchen cuboard .....LOL :)

Any prize for finding the real dust? :D

wat bout wen i was transfering the plaster into the bucket :p hehe, I swear sometimes I do more other things than electrics, in that job, removed all the kitchen corner, did electrics, plastered, and re fitted kitchen, most of the time ya been a carpet fitter. Might consider taking a few courses in the other trades (plaster, decorator, kitchen fitting, carpet fitter) to add to my cv.

Hey there WarrenG
I couldn't help but have a bit of a laugh at the flood comment (Nothing personal).
In C&G/Regs/IET world you would have a perfectly legitimate argument for being concerned about floods in a block of flats (what if the bath overflows). But then LukeScotty could argue that amidget might move into that house/flat, which is why it is so low.
It seems that ,if you can make up a story about electrical dangers/safety, no matter how far fetched and unrealistic, you can find a reg. to substantiate your reasoning. You might just have to 'interprate' that reg in the 'right' way.

It sounds like a discussion that my boss and I have fairly regularly. If you ask the governing bodies about this sort of thing, they just tend to say that there is no right or wrong (Thanks, so glad I asked)

Hey there WarrenG
I couldn't help but have a bit of a laugh at the flood comment (Nothing personal).
In C&G/Regs/IET world you would have a perfectly legitimate argument for being concerned about floods in a block of flats (what if the bath overflows). But then LukeScotty could argue that amidget might move into that house/flat, which is why it is so low.
It seems that ,if you can make up a story about electrical dangers/safety, no matter how far fetched and unrealistic, you can find a reg. to substantiate your reasoning. You might just have to 'interprate' that reg in the 'right' way.

It sounds like a discussion that my boss and I have fairly regularly. If you ask the governing bodies about this sort of thing, they just tend to say that there is no right or wrong (Thanks, so glad I asked)

Like I said I had my Inspector hat on for a second. :eek:

As Luke has said they aren't flats it’s a Bungalow............for midgets...lol :)

Seriously there are requirements under Part M of the Building Regulations (New Buildings) to mount accessories between 0.45m and 1.2m from finished floor level and the NICEIC state that consumer units are mounted between 0.75m and 1.2m..........and in flood area's to be assured that the consumer unit is above the flood line the unit can be mounted at a height above the upper limit (1.2m) but exceeded to a minimum.............now there's one for your boss over a bacon butty!

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed on the 450-1200 rule, however this only applies to new builds.

And yes, i am splitting hairs.:D

short of a lot of thro' crimps and heat shrink i dont see what else could be done. unless you have surgery to dislocate your shoulders and elbows etc

The CU would be the least of your worries in a flood as in most cases the incoming supply cablehead is mounted normally between 9-18inches of the floor.

In new builds and older houses.

The CU would be the least of your worries in a flood as in most cases the incoming supply cablehead is mounted normally between 9-18inches of the floor.

In new builds and older houses.

Down here in the south any new supplies in new or major refurbs are mounted approx 1000mm from ffl.

Reply to Any takers on this CU/tails change? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock