Discuss Anyone taking apprentices on in Merseyside area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there I’m liam and I’m 18 years old from Merseyside area, I’ve just completed my level 2&3 electrical installation and maintenance at widnes college
And I’m looking for some experience really as I’ve not been able to get an apprenticeship to get into the electrical industry, I’ve volunteered for 18 months with an electrician at a school but he can’t take me on as just hasn’t got the work.
I’m really committed to becoming an electrician and any experience would be greatly appreciated if it’s available in the Merseyside area
I’ve attached my cv If anyone out there is looking for short term electrical labouring or possible apprenticeship
And look forward to hearing from anyone interested
Yours faithfully liam

Attachments

• Liam Perryman CV New.docx
    18.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi, I cant help personally as we have already took on an apprentice, your CV looks ok though, as long as the higher the grade the better the result is, I'm out of touch with all these new qualifications, I got 'O' levels.

I've seen a few posts recently similar to this one, is it really that hard getting into the industry nowadays? I keep hearing we are crying out for skilled tradesmen, what's going on, years ago apprentices' were 10 a penny, everyone had a young lad on site with them.

I've asked this before, why cant he get a CSCS card and wing it, turn up at a site and say he is an improver or mate or whatever its called nowadays. In my day once someone could see you could put a socket on you would be suddenly thrown in at the deep end with the proviso that 20 flats would need to be ready for plastering by Monday. The following Monday you would have the keys for the site and be in charge of hiring anyone else who said they were skilled. All you needed was the gift of the gab.

What these posts have taught me though is we cant get rid of our apprentice, even if he is completely useless, we would be denying someone a future that he can only dream of. God I hate having a conscience.

Hi, I cant help personally as we have already took on an apprentice, your CV looks ok though, as long as the higher the grade the better the result is, I'm out of touch with all these new qualifications, I got 'O' levels.

I've seen a few posts recently similar to this one, is it really that hard getting into the industry nowadays? I keep hearing we are crying out for skilled tradesmen, what's going on, years ago apprentices' were 10 a penny, everyone had a young lad on site with them.

I've asked this before, why cant he get a CSCS card and wing it, turn up at a site and say he is an improver or mate or whatever its called nowadays. In my day once someone could see you could put a socket on you would be suddenly thrown in at the deep end with the proviso that 20 flats would need to be ready for plastering by Monday. The following Monday you would have the keys for the site and be in charge of hiring anyone else who said they were skilled. All you needed was the gift of the gab.

What these posts have taught me though is we cant get rid of our apprentice, even if he is completely useless, we would be denying someone a future that he can only dream of. God I hate having a conscience.
Hi Oscar
Since leaving school 2 years ago I’ve applied for everything I could find on the net and volunteered for 18 months in a school but they can’t take me on and it got me through college, I’ve applied for improver jobs but get knocked back for experience, my dad says the same thing as you’ve said it was easier years ago
But there’s just not a lot out there, I’m not giving up but I’m having to look at other work because it’s just not happening but thanks for the reply

I have "O" Levels too!
but then, I'm getting on a bit...
Ever since I fixed a couple of lights for a neighbour i can't step outside without being asked to do jobs...
I hope you get some kind of job soon though, because it seems to be the case that good electricians are hard to find, and you can't be a good electrician without experience and everyone needs a chance to start on the path

Reply to Anyone taking apprentices on in Merseyside area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net