Discuss Appliance repair ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is there much money in appliance repair im self employed. Get asked to look at appliances quite a lot, can do the basics. Is their any kind of training available for appliance repair . I have my pat testing ticket . Want to up my skillset so can do some of the more difficult repairs on expensive appliances. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Is there much money in appliance repair im self employed. Get asked to look at appliances quite a lot, can do the basics. Is their any kind of training available for appliance repair . I have my pat testing ticket . Want to up my skillset so can do some of the more difficult repairs on expensive appliances. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

I was talking to someone yesterday who does just appliance repairs - ovens, washing machines, dish washers etc. One of the issues is keeping a good stock of common spares, e.g. he keeps 2 of the common oven elements in his van (and every time he uses one, orders a replacement). If you don't keep spares, then every job you need to order parts, and unless you know the fault beforehand, means two visits. This is one reason why I never bothered with this kind of work.

A lot of appliances now are so cheap to replace, that to repair the old one, with your time, parts and the possibility that there’s some other underlying problem.... it’s uneconomical.

replacement oven elements are about the only thing I’d do

I was talking to someone yesterday who does just appliance repairs - ovens, washing machines, dish washers etc. One of the issues is keeping a good stock of common spares, e.g. he keeps 2 of the common oven elements in his van (and every time he uses one, orders a replacement). If you don't keep spares, then every job you need to order parts, and unless you know the fault beforehand, means two visits. This is one reason why I never bothered with this kind of work.

I get sent a few appliance repair jobs from a local agent.

Some element changes are 4 screws and the local shop has stock on the shelf entire job over completed in an hour, some involve taking appliances to pieces and waiting 3 weeks for the parts.

And then there's the days when there's so much grease you can never get your tools or your clothes clean again.

There are several appliance repair people in my area, they don't get a very high hourly rate so if we have an appliance repair we pass it to one of these guys and he recommends us for electrics (unless its one of our contacts then he will subby to us for the repair)

My parents use a local repair guy when their oven or washing machine stop working.
think he charges about £90 per call out and takes as long as needed to repair the appliance. Obviously parts are on top.

I did appliance repairs for about 2 years when I left school. I do miss that job. Still do the odd one here and there, most of the recent faults were blown components in the primary side of the SMPS for the control circuit boards.

Reply to Appliance repair ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock