Discuss Appliances tripping sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone has an idea what this could be as I've had two electricians round and they've not been able to sort it out.

Various things are causing the sockets in my house to trip, from the fridge door and cooker hood, to the on/off button on the coffee machine and reading lamp. It always happens when the fridge door isn't pushed hard enough and doesn't completely close, when the reading lamp button doesn't properly engage on turning it on, or when the cooker hood sticks on opening or closing (taking a little longer to turn on or off). Why would these things cause the sockets to trip and require turning on again at the consumer unit (a Memera 2000)?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Hi mate.
What trips in the consumer unit. The breaker or RCD?
What did the electricians do to test the fault?

What Spoon said

Hi all, I'm hoping someone has an idea what this could be as I've had two electricians round and they've not been able to sort it out.

Various things are causing the sockets in my house to trip, from the fridge door and cooker hood, to the on/off button on the coffee machine and reading lamp. It always happens when the fridge door isn't pushed hard enough and doesn't completely close, when the reading lamp button doesn't properly engage on turning it on, or when the cooker hood sticks on opening or closing (taking a little longer to turn on or off). Why would these things cause the sockets to trip and require turning on again at the consumer unit (a Memera 2000)?

Thanks in advance,
Phil
Phil can you show us a picture of the CU, preferably with the lid open showing the CBs and RCD, pointing out what is actually tripping.

If the RCD is tripping there is most likely a N-E fault somewhere on the system, it's very common for N-E faults to cause very random tripping leading to wrong conclusions. It's also possible from the OP's description that the RCD is faulty...(assuming it is an RCD)….Memera 2000 is a bit long in the tooth now.

Hi, photos of the CU attached. I'm pointing at the lever that trips - none of the others do.

I can't remember what the electricians looked for as it was over a year ago, and I've just lived with the problem since. However as it's pot luck whether I can turn my lamp on or not, it's got to the point where I'd like it resolved. I think one of the electricians was talking about an Earth and voltage levels. His only suggestion was not to use a particular extension lead... which none of the appliances concerned are connected to anyway.

Cheers.

you need to find a sparks that's competent at fault finding. i would offer, but you're too far from the civilised world (north of birmingham) :D:D:D.maybe a member is close enough to your location to fix the problem. as stated before, a N-E fault, perhaps intermittent, or the RCD itself,is the likely cause.

you need to find a sparks that's competent at fault finding. i would offer, but you're too far from the civilised world (north of birmingham) :D:D:D.maybe a member is close enough to your location to fix the problem. as stated before, a N-E fault, perhaps intermittent, or the RCD itself,is the likely cause.
An offer you can't refuse.

problem is , pete, that it would cost 5 times the cost of fixing the fault just to fuel the van.

problem is , pete, that it would cost 5 times the cost of fixing the fault just to fuel the van.
A one off payment Tel well worth it, to get someone of your caliber

A one off payment Tel well worth it, to get someone of your caliber
yeah but to go there and back is 5 hours + driving. not worth the OP paying for that if someone is local to him.

Thanks in advance,
Phil
How old is your house

I don't think Cambridgeshire is north of Birmingham Tel but I take your point it is out of your civilisation.

Reply to Appliances tripping sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock