Discuss Application for NIC in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

pezman

Hello fellas,
I've been sparky working on domestic new build and re wires for the last 10 years but have always worked for myself. Ive finally decided to apply to the NIC so i can sign my own 'private' jobs off. My assessment is next friday (the 24th) and be quite honest i'm terrified!!! is there anything in particular that they seem to look for during the assessment? Any help fellas would be gratefully appreciated. Cheers!

All your paperwork needs to be in order for what they refer to as your Desktop Review...
...You will have been given a guidance leaflet outlining exactly what is required as regards the above.
You will need to demostrate that you can Inspect & Test.....Test meters will also be visually checked as well as the Calibration Data.
...Safe Isolation procedures
...Main Earthing & Protective Equipotential bonding are always checked on your site visits
...RCD tripping times
...Insulation resistance values
...R1 +R2 tests
...Zs tests

...All the usual things...and if you have been testing your work regularly then these will not be any problem to you and you should be o.k.

Best of Luck !

Last edited by a moderator:
As above you will also need a copy of BS7671 OSG a complaints procedure health and safety policy a register of all your customers cant think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck

Chris

hi chaps, i've been self employed since october, and probaby next week i am going to go for my nic registration, and i'm the same, as in what questions they ask, and what there like e.t.c. but most of my work is subbed out to me, and signed off by someone else. so i was guna show him a rewire that i've done 95% of the work, and a loft light or sumthing like that. so i haven't got much of a client base at the moment,so i don't have much of a choice of work to show them. and this rewire isn't local to me either. but do they still want the jobs you show them to be signed off? or can you sign them off after you get your nic? sorry to go a bit!!!

i have just become self employed. i was just wondereing if anyone can tell me how i go about testing the installation and does it have to be nic or can i use different certs. also what qualifications do you need to work on your own i have them all except the 2391??

hello sam you dont need 2391 to get nic registered last year i did the 2392 initial testing and inspection tht but in good sted to apply for nic registration, as for the certs you cant use nic ones only there green cert tht dont nic headings on or you could use iet certs the ones out f the big red book witch ever you use you still gotta notify labc, hope this helps

LABC is the local authority building control if you are not registered with NICEIC or other body you must inform them in ADVANCE of any work you do. If the job is an emergency you must inform them as soon as possilbe afterwards

Chris

Reply to Application for NIC in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock