Discuss Apprentice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gsingh

Hi there guys, im 17 and from birmingham and ive been looking to becoming an electrician for the past 6 months. Is anyone taking on any apprentices? Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gurmit

Hi Gsingh, i think theres quite a few apprentices on this forum in the same boat as you mate but good luck and keep asking, ya never know who's watching:D

Hi mate if i was you, id contact your local electricity board and ask for about apprenticeships, with the elec board you'll be working on the overhead lines and/or underground cables and in substations, its alot more interesting from my point of view than normal electrics.

If you dont fancy that mate id go for a big commerical or industrial firm, stay clear if you can of domestics you'll find it boring after a few years.

Get the yellow pages go through all the companys ringing up and ask them if they have any apprenticeship jobs, offer to work for free at first to show them you are keen and interested.

They wont take you up on the offer but it will show them you are keen and willing and not some kid after a job for beer tokens.

Good luck mate

As markthespark says.

Get yourself out there, contact firms, contractors, ask friends, friends of friends etc. E-mail them a covering letter (was going to say CV but do you have one?), phone them, visit them in person. Sell yourself.

Personally I WOULDN'T offer to work for free but that's me.

Do you have any electrical academic qualifications? At your age I'd enrol at college for the City and Guilds 2330. It's a 2-3yr course, one day OR 2-3 nights a week. Once your on this and if your still looking for work I think you'll find employers will look upon you more favourably.

Finally, visit this site regularly. You can find LOADS of information on here (I have) and the guys (and girls) are very friendly and always willing to help.

I hope this has helped some, if you have anymore queries, let us know.

a properly written cv helps as your 17 there are various training schemes available
i take it paying for it yourself isnt an option as youll be skint like anyone else ?!
ask the obvious question ...when are you taking on apprentices as our firm only does it it once a year then contact them nearer the time
again ask yourself how can i stand out better than anyone else
good luck, a career in this industry can lead many places.

hi cheers for the resposes. Well ive been searching for an apprenticeship since last september. Believe me ive done all of the above im ringing companys everyday. Ive just had an assessment with ngbailey so fingers crossed ill get through to get an interview. I did actually get a job last november but i took a holiday just before i started and i was due to start work on the monday i got back. However i was informed that due to the company not getting a certain contract which wouldve lasted around 18 months they couldnt keep me on as they didnt have any work for me. Cheers again for the responses and i look forward to joining you all in the field

good luck with the assessment getting a start is key .you can decide"what next?"when you have a bit of time served

Cheers wayne - i managed to pass the assessment and i got an interview - i thought it went well and i got a letter back a week later saying that i was on the short list for a second interview - however i havent heard back since(been about 3-4 weeks). Has anyone had any experiences with ngbaileys, and how they operate on these things? Cheers

No. But considering it's been 12 weeks since you told us you've had an assessment...

I don't think your priority on ngbailey's list of 'To Do' (I don't mean that in a nasty way).

Be patient and I'm sure you'll hear from them in due time.

Good luck

hi gsingh,

if it was london I could have helped as we often have places coming up, although mainly the 2330 type

Hi guys, yeah bane you were right they took ages, i had a second interview with them on the 2nd july and i thought it went brilliantly. the main branch manager was loving my answers, however i got a letter saying that i was unsuccessful this morning. I am now looking into enrolling at college. Would the best bet be to enrol onto the City & Guilds 2330??

Cheers again for all your responses

Gsingh

Reply to Apprentice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock