Discuss Are lighting marshalling boxes a legality? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently been fitting a good amount of LED panels into off licences using Klik boxes but have also had a few customers turn the work down due to cost.

I prefer to use Klik boxes as I think they're a good system and also allows the ability to isolate lights individually rather than having to turn a circuit off to replace one light if one was to go faulty.

It is, however, the cost of these marshalling boxes and klik plugs which raises the price for the customer.

My question is... What's everyone's opinions on using klik boxes as opposed to just wiring the fittings daisy chain style? Is there any reason why this cant be another option if the customer is unhappy with the price of the initial klik method?

PS. I'm referring to shops which are looking at between 10 to 20 LED panels

Look forward to hearing some feedback!

use click flow ( or similar) connectors. these allow disconnection of individual fittings. the also come in 4 pin if you have EMs on the install. hell or a lot less cost.

Are lighting marshalling boxes a legality? 1596198329947 - EletriciansForums.net

use click flow ( or similar) connectors. these allow disconnection of individual fittings. the also come in 4 pin if you have EMs on the install. hell or a lot less cost.

View attachment 59835

I take it that satisfys the reg for isolation of each light?

But with out light boxs how would you support the cables daisy chained between each light fitting?

as above. independent isolation of each light is a matter of convenience. a faulty unit can be isolated without killing the circuit.

Klik marshaling boxes, or individual Klik roses for each light fitting are my preferred option personally.

But it partly comes down to how they are being wired?
Generally if it is a conduit install then Klik roses is the best option, one above each light.
If it is being cables with something like flexshield then the multiway Klik marshaling boxes would be my preference I think.
[automerge]1596279139[/automerge]

View attachment 59835

I've used them a lot in domestic, and in commercial where the ceiling is permanent and you only have the cutout for the light to work through.
But I wouldn't normally use them in accessible voids such as suspended ceilings, it just doesn't feel like the right tool for the job. I don't like them just hanging on the ends of cables without being fixed in place.

Klik marshaling boxes, or individual Klik roses for each light fitting are my preferred option personally.

But it partly comes down to how they are being wired?
Generally if it is a conduit install then Klik roses is the best option, one above each light.
If it is being cables with something like flexshield then the multiway Klik marshaling boxes would be my preference I think.
[automerge]1596279139[/automerge]

I've used them a lot in domestic, and in commercial where the ceiling is permanent and you only have the cutout for the light to work through.
But I wouldn't normally use them in accessible voids such as suspended ceilings, it just doesn't feel like the right tool for the job. I don't like them just hanging on the ends of cables without being fixed in place.
with suspended ceilings, all boils down to cost. if client wants to pay for metalwork and Klick roses, then that is the best option. generally a client's budget limits the job to flex laid on the tiles or maybe cable tied to the suspension wires and click flow (or similar) connectors it's his/her choice. the difference in cost is hundreds.

with suspended ceilings, all boils down to cost. if client wants to pay for metalwork and Klick roses, then that is the best option. generally a client's budget limits the job to flex laid on the tiles or maybe cable tied to the suspension wires and click flow (or similar) connectors it's his/her choice. the difference in cost is hundreds.

Yes sometimes budget comes in to it, but the choice of installation method is not based purely on cost, and not left up to the client like that.

Flex laid on tiles is a bodge and non compliant, if that's what they want then they can pay a cowboy to come and do it for them.

Yes sometimes budget comes in to it, but the choice of installation method is not based purely on cost, and not left up to the client like that.

Flex laid on tiles is a bodge and non compliant, if that's what they want then they can pay a cowboy to come and do it for them.
Plug & play, seems to be in @ the moment,& yes it can look untidy,but in this day & age,fast fix is the norm.

Personally I'd describe that as being one step up from being lasooed in and far from a good installation method.

Its how one of the buildings I have been in was done, but it was only like that in the corridors in all the rooms it was marshall boxs

I think it looks like it was done like that as the ceiling above the false ceiling is slanted made of metal and about 2 section of a tower above the false ceiling?

Its how one of the buildings I have been in was done, but it was only like that in the corridors in all the rooms it was marshall boxs

I think it looks like it was done like that as the ceiling above the false ceiling is slanted made of metal and about 2 section of a tower above the false ceiling?

It doesn't matter how big the void is it is still a low standard of installation work.

down in the affluent south, you may be able to obtain jobs using the best installation methos such as Klik roses/conduit/metal trunking etc. up here it would be "how much???? you're taking the pi$$. close the door on your way out".
(i refer to retro fitting in existing properties, not new builds where the cost would have been factored into the build).

You can use basket,most containment done in a minimal way, Skeleton route, you still have to come off it,to go where you need to get.
Unlike trunking & conduit.

Reply to Are lighting marshalling boxes a legality? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock