Discuss Are there any good electrical calculation and practical books? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has come across any simplified books containing good information on electrical calculations and good practice installation guides. Mainly aimed at apprentices or low level to medium level installations domestic or industrial?

Thanks in advance

A useful book, though probably a little above the level you are asking about, is the IET's "Electrical Installation Design Guide, 4th Edition" as it has also some examples of the more difficult to interpret aspects like diversity. Some of the other IET guidance notes series are also good at helping you understand the intentions of some aspects of the wiring regulations (think of "Guidance Note 1: Selection & Erection" and "Guidance Note 3: Inspection & Testing" off hand).

Unfortunately the IET really know how to charge for them :(

Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas for books for apprentice help.

A useful book, though probably a little above the level you are asking about, is the IET's "Electrical Installation Design Guide, 4th Edition" as it has also some examples of the more difficult to interpret aspects like diversity. Some of the other IET guidance notes series are also good at helping you understand the intentions of some aspects of the wiring regulations (think of "Guidance Note 1: Selection & Erection" and "Guidance Note 3: Inspection & Testing" off hand).

Unfortunately the IET really know how to charge for them :(

Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas for books for apprentice help.
Look out for EIW Works 1,2 and 3 or ABC used them when I was a ALad, written by chap called WATKINS , good books plenty of worked calcs examples, course it was a long long time ago, they were brilliant bound to be some about somewhere, especially the aged, sadly mine got left in the USSR when I left in 1984/5 for my Russian Electrician colleagues, maybe they translated them and made a fortune. Good luck ln your search, as for practical books look in the older style bookshops, they are about.

Thank you very much both I have had a look round but provide little known contents in the description hence my question. But that should point me in the right direction. The books we get from college are dire in my opinion.

Reply to Are there any good electrical calculation and practical books? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net