Discuss Are you all ready for Christmas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A local firm popped up on my facebook feed advertising outside sockets for your xmas lights. £40 supplied and fitted :eek:
You think that’s bad there’s a guy on my patch doing it for £20 supplied and fitted. After all it’s only 3 wires. :mad:
Wonder if he tests?

I must say though I ain’t slating him I’m simply commenting on how on earth it’s possible. I can’t slate him because I’ve never seen his work....

You think that’s bad there’s a guy on my patch doing it for £20 supplied and fitted. After all it’s only 3 wires. :mad:
Wonder if he tests?

I must say though I ain’t slating him I’m simply commenting on how on earth it’s possible. I can’t slate him because I’ve never seen his work....

No idea. The outdoor sockets I fit cost near £20.
The cheapest you can get are a tenner, but who turns up and works for another tenner ?

The local firm doing them for £40 are a proper company with sign written vans, offices, apprentices etc. How they can afford to turn up for that astounds me.

The BG ones are a tenner in screwfix, I got some very nice ones in CEF for around £8.00 a while back though, pretty sure they were CLICK. Have you seen the price screwfix want for MK masterseal? At that price I’d want it fitted. On my behalf of course.
Edit; Just had another look. Apparently it costs £8 to have two switches on your double socket as there is £8 of a difference between switched and unswitched:eek:

It’s ‘Christmas’ not ‘Xmas’. Humbug, humbug. It starts on the 25th of December, not before, for a period of 12 days and that’s it. Humbug, humbug. I hate it as people feel the need to spend ridiculous amounts of money and demand things they want rather than appreciate a gift that someone has thoughtfully chosen for them. Humbug, humbug
24th mate.......

My wife thinks Christmas preparation starts in September.

She has spent tonight wrapping 24 individual little boxes, each tagged with a numbered ticket for each of our 3 kids. That's their advent calendars.

Previous years we have had an oven blow up on us.... on Xmas eve!

We had family staying in a caravan on our driveway... and the neighbours complained as it was sticking 6 inches onto the pavement. (and it was blocking their view)

Years ago we had the police turn up at my parents house on the 25th, my uncle's sheep had escaped their field.

My dad always got a Billy Connelly video for Christmas back in the 80's.
Me, my brother and him watching it at 10am in the morning (me at age 12)… My mum would come in.... "put that sh*te off, yer granny wull be here in a minute!"

We had last Christmas in New Zealand, so this year we have my parents, AND her parents for dinner. This is going to be war.

It's becoming to look a lot like Christmas....
I have a conservatory to complete and then I'm hanging up my meter and selling off my van. Retirement here I come. Whoopie!!!!!

IMG_20181201_000538.jpg

No idea. The outdoor sockets I fit cost near £20.
The cheapest you can get are a tenner, but who turns up and works for another tenner ?

The local firm doing them for £40 are a proper company with sign written vans, offices, apprentices etc. How they can afford to turn up for that astounds me.
Loss leader to get their foot in the door....once they’re in hit the customer with the big sale for board upgrades for no RCD protection etc, I would imagine.

Hey guys,

Merry Christmas (maybe too early? - I've seen hundreds of trees up so maybe not lol) from me and Lou, and on behalf of the staff, who I can't thank enough for being awesome and covering on all the forums for the past year or so. I've had a lot going on, and it's still going on. So thanks for that.

Are you guys all done for xmas? You getting all the calls from customers wanting things finished for xmas? You got all your xmas prezzies? (or shop xmas eve like me?

Here's to a brilliant Xmas and a wonderful new year. :)
And to you and yours Dan
Pet999

We have 3 lads and they are all grown up. They will all be going to their other half's parents for Christmas so we will be on our Jack Jones (no problem with that). SWMBO has her birthday on the 28th Dec so I said "sod it" and we are of to Gran Canaria for Christmas.
So I hope you all have a great Christmas and a brill New (and the rest of it ) Year.

Way to early for me, I do enjoy Xmas but it doesn't start for until Friday when I lock the office up and then we're off until the new year so a nice break.
I'll be amazed if we don't get a couple of breakdowns but most of my customers close down for the full break.
I leave all the presents to her indoors and will do my bits online.
I don't drink anymore but it's nice to be able to jump in the car and Bugger off for a drive while everyone else is slaughtered.

Merry Xmas Dan and Lou.

Reply to Are you all ready for Christmas? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net