Discuss Armoured Cable Colours Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

There’s nowhere in BS7671 that says Black must be used for Earth, and Grey for Neutral.
This is just an idea put forward by the NICEIC, and their reason is to disassociate Black from Neutral.
Unfortunately, they have never explained why we should disassociate Black from Neutral.

To answer the OP, use whatever colour you like, as long as you use the same colour at each end of the cable.
Identify the conductors at the terminations, either by colour or alphanumerically.

Many thanks for all the answers. One more question, the cable will be buried about 700mm deep, I assume that I need a warning tape above it, what depth should the tape be?
Thanks
Mick

it's becoz the elite want to dissassociate black from neutral. jus a s a point, i voted NO to the EU common mistake in c. 1072, and have been totally against the EU since. all those that voted to join, hang your heads. otherwise we'd still be on red/yellow/blue/black, as it was ordained in the first testament of Nicola Tesla (RIP).
Found this today and though of you.

2019-05-23 15.40.34.jpg

Many thanks for all the answers. One more question, the cable will be buried about 700mm deep, I assume that I need a warning tape above it, what depth should the tape be?
Thanks
Mick

When back filling, lay the warning tape across the top of the first layer.
Don’t put it straight over the cable..
The person digging in the future needs there to be enough depth not to damage the cable when they hit the tape..

The new colours are nothing to do with Europe. Using Blue as neutral was decided by the IEC which we will still be a member of once we leave the EU. The Brown Black Gray bit was decided by the UK.
As for using 3 core cable for single phase. most of us would connect an old cable R=live Y=earth B=neutral. connecting a new cable Br=Live Bk=earth G=neutral keeps the same sequence.

the new colours are everything to do with europe. it's called harminisation with other EU countries. bad decision by IEE at the time. other countries should have adopted the sensible colours what we had since the beginning, red/yellow/blue are still red/yellow /blue in the dark. new colours all grey. like cats.

I never actually used the yellow as an earth.. back in those days the trend was 2 core and using the armour as an earth or running a separate earth wire.

Really what page is that on?
It's still in the reg's Westward although the old colours are no longer mentioned.
The old colours were L1 Red, L2 yellow & L3 blue
The new colours are L1 brown, L2 black & L3 grey.
So, if you were using the blue as neutral it would now be grey, though this a matter of choice and as far as I'm aware and not a reg.

It's still in the reg's Westward although the old colours are no longer mentioned.
The old colours were L1 Red, L2 yellow & L3 blue
The new colours are L1 brown, L2 black & L3 grey.
So, if you were using the blue as neutral it would now be grey, though this a matter of choice and as far as I'm aware and not a reg.
Yeah I know that is in there but there is nowhere or never has been the suggestion of which colour to utilise as the cpc or neutral.

the new colours are everything to do with europe. it's called harminisation with other EU countries. bad decision by IEE at the time. other countries should have adopted the sensible colours what we had since the beginning, red/yellow/blue are still red/yellow /blue in the dark. new colours all grey. like cats.
I thought it was just me. I was checking current draw last week on service lift motors and every time it just felt like effort to work out the wires from the colours. Red, yellow, blue was just “right”. I suspect I’m no more than one of those old moaners complaining about change I took the ---- out of 20 years ago though.

Reply to Armoured Cable Colours Question in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net