Discuss Availability of AFCI breakers for Cutler-Hammer BR Loadcenter subpanel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

dimmer_sw

DIY
Reaction score
I have an old house, built 1925 that still has part of the wiring in the original separated 2-conductor on post style of wiring to 2 rooms, all off of one 15 A breaker. I was originally hoping to put in grounded plugs without necessarily rewiring, but that doesn't look legal. I'm wondering if an AFCI breaker might be available for the brand of subpanel box that I have? The current breakers are the two switch per breaker design and I have been unable to find an AFCI breaker that that can handle two circuits in that space. I'm thinking that if I could put in a more modern breaker that I could then put in 3 prong receptacles with labels indicating they do not have equipment grounding.

Sounds like you still have some knob and tube wiring in which case you cannot fit three prong receptacles regardless of fitting warning notices.
The best person to advise is one of our US members like @Megawatt

I have an old house, built 1925 that still has part of the wiring in the original separated 2-conductor on post style of wiring to 2 rooms, all off of one 15 A breaker. I was originally hoping to put in grounded plugs without necessarily rewiring, but that doesn't look legal. I'm wondering if an AFCI breaker might be available for the brand of subpanel box that I have? The current breakers are the two switch per breaker design and I have been unable to find an AFCI breaker that that can handle two circuits in that space. I'm thinking that if I could put in a more modern breaker that I could then put in 3 prong receptacles with labels indicating they do not have equipment grounding.
Dimmer you are not allowed to add to knob and tube wiring. It needs to be rewired and bring it up to today’s standers. Never put 2 wires under 1 breaker. AFCI breakers are not going to work especially with two loads connected to it

I was not thinking of using one breaker for two existing circuits. Almost all of the house was rewired. At the moment only one of the breakers supplies the knob and post portion of the wiring which only goes to the living room and the only loads expected are lighting and vacuum cleaners. The other switch on that two switch breaker supplies a more modern portion of the household wiring. I was asking if there were avaialble AFCI breakers that would have capability of supplying 2 separate circuits that would fit in the two switch position of the box which is maxxed out on positions.

According to the electrician I've talked to so far, the National Code does allow upgrading breakers without rewiring old circuits

I've pretty much given up the idea of doing this myself, since I also want to have new capacities for the garage and new heat-pump, so I'll be contracting for that and will probably just include the needed modifications in that contract. And it will all be inspected to California Code.

I was not thinking of using one breaker for two existing circuits. Almost all of the house was rewired. At the moment only one of the breakers supplies the knob and post portion of the wiring which only goes to the living room and the only loads expected are lighting and vacuum cleaners. The other switch on that two switch breaker supplies a more modern portion of the household wiring. I was asking if there were avaialble AFCI breakers that would have capability of supplying 2 separate circuits that would fit in the two switch position of the box which is maxxed out on positions.

According to the electrician I've talked to so far, the National Code does allow upgrading breakers without rewiring old circuits

I've pretty much given up the idea of doing this myself, since I also want to have new capacities for the garage and new heat-pump, so I'll be contracting for that and will probably just include the needed modifications in that contract. And it will all be inspected to California Code.
Dimmer just look at the sticker on the inside of your panel cover and it tells you what type breakers and what style of AFCI breakers you can use and I’m assuming that you want the slim line breakers and not sure you can find them. Buy some slimline breakers for other circuits and free up space that way. The you can add a AFCI breaker and what’s the name brand Of your panel ?

Dimmer just look at the sticker on the inside of your panel cover and it tells you what type breakers and what style of AFCI breakers you can use and I’m assuming that you want the slim line breakers and not sure you can find them. Buy some slimline breakers for other circuits and free up space that way. The you can add a AFCI breaker and what’s the name brand Of your panel ?

Brand name and Model name were in the title of my question: "Cutler-Hammer BR Loadcenter". I'm not sure if there are multiple sizes of this model, but there do not appear to be any extra positions judging by just looking at the face plate.

Unfortunately, the entire panel is filled with slimline breaker pairs so I'm not able to follow your very sensible suggestion. All of the breakers appear to be Westinghouse branded and are a mixture of 15 and 20 A capacities.

The BR line has been under 4 different brand names, 1st as Bryant, the residential light commercial line of Westinghouse, then they dropped the Bryant name in favor of 2nd Westinghouse, then Eaton bought most of the electrical division of Westinghouse, & folded it into their 3rd, Cutler-Hammer subsidiary, now it's 4th Eaton BR 4), so it makes it confusing to get replacements, although my vote is always replace a BR panel in favor of a Eaton/Cutler-Hammer CH, go from the worst make to the last decent residential/light commercial panel left on the market. Eaton BR is the proper replacement breakers for the BR line panels though.

Reply to Availability of AFCI breakers for Cutler-Hammer BR Loadcenter subpanel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net