Discuss Ballast wiring??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
If you wire a ballast incorrectly , would it damage it?

I got a 2x 42w ballast today and the numbers are different on this one.

What does the wee star indicate on the Ballast wiring diagram?

Any help need more info just ask thx.

1,2 has the we star which was neutrals
3,4 was line's
5,6 was neutrals
7,8 was line's with the wee star
Hmmmmm

And the new ballast has 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 with wee stars between 10,11 and 16,17

Hmmm I'm probably over looking this but the ballast cost £80

Most ballast are straight forward, if they have the same number of connections. The diagram will usually show all wiring to lamp holders, and the stars need to go to the nearest lamp holder(s) as they need to be as short as possible.

The only problems that can usually be encountered, is when the lamp configurations are different (eg: in series, and lamp holders are connected together rather than direct to ballast).

Some ballasts can run with either multiple series smaller tubes or standard configuration with a single larger tube. I'm wondering if the asterisks or stars indicate different wiring schemes. Assuming the incoming supply was not incorrectly connected I would imagine that it wouldn't be damaged by mis-configuring the outputs if it's a recognised brand name item. Some ballasts have a lockout feature to prevent fires or ballast damage when a fault is detected or when the tube reaches end of life. Often powering off will reset but there may be another manual method of resetting required. I would be heading for the manufacturers website for a data sheet.

3,4 was line's
5,6 was neutrals
Hmmmmm

And the new ballast has 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17 with wee stars between 10,11 and 16,17

From that small amount of info, I would guess that 10-13 would connect to one lamp and 14-17 would connect to the other.

10-11 and 16-17 would connect to lamp holders nearest the ballast.

Just check the lines on the wiring diagram, and ensure the wires connect to the correct side of the lamp holder as they may be crossed over which is prevent the lamp from striking.

why do they need to be short as possible?????

a guy i work with told me it doesnt matter as long as you match the browns from one lamp with the blues and yes the astrix means the shortest ... so not loads init and its up and working and everyone is happy. ty
Most ballast are straight forward, if they have the same number of connections. The diagram will usually show all wiring to lamp holders, and the stars need to go to the nearest lamp holder(s) as they need to be as short as possible.

The only problems that can usually be encountered, is when the lamp configurations are different (eg: in series, and lamp holders are connected together rather than direct to ballast).

3,4 was line's
5,6 was neutrals
Hmmmmm

After a quick look at most of the ballast's, my conlusion is this:

1,2 (*N) into - 10,11 (shortest cables)
3,4 (L) into - 12,13
5,6 (N) into - 14,15
7,8 (*L) into 16,17 (shortest cables)

That should work as for your dimming is it controlled by a LCM or just a standard 240v dimmer?

It's a touch dimmer. The ballast also has perm live and switched live. I got it sorted/working and have learnt a bit. Ty

why do they need to be short as possible?????

a guy i work with told me it doesnt matter as long as you match the browns from one lamp with the blues and yes the astrix means the shortest ... so not loads init and its up and working and everyone is happy. ty

I have no idea, other than the instructions say so.

3,4 was line's
5,6 was neutrals
Hmmmmm

80 quid for a ballast that must be a typo right?

Reply to Ballast wiring??? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock