Discuss Basic Electrical Skills In The 1940's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ah, that takes me back...that's exactly how my sister and I spoke with our parents!
Whatever happened to Mr. Cholmondely-Warner?
The bit that got me was when the woman said, 'it's to complicated to explain' and then the man says, 'here let me explain it' Lol.
[automerge]1582983174[/automerge]
Hope you sparks are taking note. All you need is a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to fix stuff. :tearsofjoy:

Every day is a school day. Didn’t realise you can fix a broken fuse using only your fingers.
but I guess there was rationing at that time.

If only there were public information films nowadays to inform people how to reset an simple device. :grin:

I couldn't imagine speaking in received pronunciation, would be awful.

Yeah there wasn't any Screwfix or BnQ in those Halcyon days
A lot more common sense, though...isolation the point....although I wouldn't have wanted my young kids tightening screws with their fingers let alone going anywhere near.
Thing is though, as nippers you just didn't do it.

Only those in the trade could get trade prices, too.

Last edited:
I think the point of the woman and young girl doing it was to point out how simple it was ahem. Back in those days women and children regularly had to do these jobs as their blokes were just back or not or just going to war!

Reply to Basic Electrical Skills In The 1940's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello! I've been racking my brain this evening about some RCD selections. I've been doing some work for a solar installer, and they've asked me...
Replies
Views
I was thinking about getting qualified to do this for a charity. I already do the necessary stuff to put the electrical donations into the shop...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, Fairly new to the forum I think I'm in the right thread. I'm hoping to get some advice. I originally served my apprenticeship as...
Replies
Views
I'm 24 and looking for a career change into the electrical industry. Could anyone advise me on the practicality of undertaking a fast track level...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock