Discuss Bathroom Ceiling Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Heartman1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I wonder if someone would be good enough to help, please.
I have a new light fitting that has 2 slots, one for live and one for neutral. There are many wires from the ceiling going into the old fitting, so what I need to know is which ones go into the 2 slots in the new fitting.

I have wired a few lights before in the house but this one got me a bit confused really

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks alot!

Attachments

• 327557233_666491078561885_3511644775486110822_n.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 24
  • 327810069_2244364032398761_4278348029623587520_n.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 24
Is that the existing light on the left, to be replaced by that on the right?
I'm presuming that the existing light fitting (as connected) has been disconnected and then reconnected incorrectly, with no note of original connections.
If not, there's some weird wiring involved with that 3 core.

Is that the existing light on the left, to be replaced by that on the right?
I'm presuming that the existing light fitting (as connected) has been disconnected and then reconnected incorrectly, with no note of original connections.
If not, there's some weird wiring involved with that 3 core.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Yes the image on the left is the light that is currently connected and working(that is being replaced). The right image is the new fitting.
The grey and blue wires going into the N terminal look like they have been marked with black marker?

It is for an extract fan. The connector for the new fitting is not going to accommodate all those cables. It all needs taking into the ceiling void and contained in a suitable joint box, not really a DIY task.

It is for an extract fan. The connector for the new fitting is not going to accommodate all those cables. It all needs taking into the ceiling void and contained in a suitable joint box, not really a DIY task.
Yes, sorry! There is an extractor fan in the bathroom that comes on with the light. Could you explain how its wired?

The four browns are live in, live out, live to switch and permanent live to the fan. The blue and grey are live from the switch and live to the fan. The two blues and black are neutral.

Proper joint box and 2 core to light fitting, needed. Call for a spark.
New fitting needs checking if earth required....something that wasn't thought about with the original, even though available.
One of those push ins is for earths but you can't see that because the terminal 'labelling' has been cut out.

The four browns are live in, live out, live to switch and permanent live to the fan. The blue and grey are live from the switch and live to the fan. The two blues and black are neutral.
Easy for us but I think you need to explain that in black and white for OP to understand.

Reply to Bathroom Ceiling Light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net