Discuss Best Illuminated Mirror in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

benawhile

DIY
Reaction score
What is the best system for illuminating a bathroom mirror?

I installed one such mirror recently. I will have to replace it, not only because the isolating transformer is permanently buzzing, but the light it gives is also useless.

Alternative mirror illumination systems I am aware of are an edge strip of light as opposed to individual dots as in the image, a backlight, and a completely separate light above or to the side.

Does anyone know anywhere the different systems have been objectively tested or reviewed?

I am sure there are many illuminated mirrors available, have you tried looking in the big B & Q type stores? or bathroom show rooms?

There are indeed many but due to my bad experiences with transformers I had to restrict my search to an illuminated mirror cabinet without a shaver socket and that is not so easy.

There are indeed many but due to my bad experiences with transformers I had to restrict my search to an illuminated mirror cabinet without a shaver socket and that is not so easy.

Shouldn't be any issue, but nothing to stop you disconnecting the transformer, providing you do it safely.

I bought a couple from this company over the last few years. Never had an issue with quality.

That said, I've never seen a illuminated cabinet, whose lighting is bright enough for ladies & make up or gentlemen with shaving.

I bought a couple from this company over the last few years. Never had an issue with quality.

That said, I've never seen a illuminated cabinet, whose lighting is bright enough for ladies & make up or gentlemen with shaving.

£730 for a bathroom cabinet! Mind you compared to that $4500 light fitting on the other thread it's a bargain!

I steer customers clear of these integrated illuminated mirrors if possible, they tend to be poorly made.

I've bought one off ebay last time - I just looked for the simplest design - ie light only (less to go wrong) and bought the cheapest one that looked half decent - did the job as a replacement, but for how long who knows...

Never come across a quality manufacturer, let us know if you find one.

I steer customers clear of these integrated illuminated mirrors if possible, they tend to be poorly made.

I've bought one off ebay last time - I just looked for the simplest design - ie light only (less to go wrong) and bought the cheapest one that looked half decent - did the job as a replacement, but for how long who knows...

Never come across a quality manufacturer, let us know if you find one.
Me too, problem is when our new extension was wired the default was to put the one wall outlet above the middle of the sink, so either we have one integrated mirror or tap off from there (or run a new cable) to one side for a separate shaver socket, which is what I am thinking of having done now.

Me too, problem is when our new extension was wired the default was to put the one wall outlet above the middle of the sink, so either we have one integrated mirror or tap off from there (or run a new cable) to one side for a separate shaver socket, which is what I am thinking of having done now.
Ahh understandable, yes a bit more work but I think that's the best option here

£730 for a bathroom cabinet! Mind you compared to that $4500 light fitting on the other thread it's a bargain!
They do sell some cheaper than that :)

I got one surplus to requirements, off my son's company. Paid £60, and of of the door lights went calput after 6 months. Buy cheap, buy often.

Reply to Best Illuminated Mirror in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net