Discuss Best way to hang a 13 stone chandelier in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jonboy1

Been asked to hang a very expensive 13 stone chandelier. Not a field we specialize in but can't imagine it will be that difficult. Is there any specific equipment that is out there that should be used like a winch above the ceiling or shall i just use a couple of rawl plugs? (was thinking about running a steel rod through the beams above and hooking fitting through. Any ideas welcome)

can't imagine it will be that difficult

Hold on whilst i pick myself up of the floor.:D

I hung a 350lb one 6 weeks ago and it was a nightmare.

You will need a structural engineer to check the load bearing on the ceiling you are going to attach to and then a chippy to put in a block in between the joists preferably with a metal plate on top with a hole drilled in the middle and some heavy duty fixings. You cant miter into the joists as this will lessen the load bearing so we had to fix a 500mmx5mm plate on to each joist to strengthen it. Remember the top of the metal plate on the block of wood needs to be about 50mm below the top of the joist.

Most of the big chandelier's are hung by a large hollow threaded bolt which your cable runs through. This goes through your block and metal plate and that is why you leave a 50mm gap at the top so you dont crush the cable when you put the floor back.

Then get the damm thing up there. If it is 13 stone i would assume you have a high ceiling so you will probably need a tower scaffold for the 3 men that will be needed to lift it.

Poke cable through ceiling and then chandelier and start screaming at bloke above to get the fecking nut on quick.

Wire in.

Simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would use a hand winch to lift it ,3 men and a scaffold is a expensive option ,so is employing a structual enginner :eek:,just use a few bits of unistrut ,its not as if its that heavy:confused:
good luck;)

What is the value of it? And by the sounds of it its not a Domestic install>
75 % of the work required is easy

Just use common sense on the other 25% ! Lift floor above and have a good look at the joist sizes and directions etc. Then create a strong platform to hang the Chandelier from. Dont use any MDF etc !. Once that is created etc. use a "thread" wire first through the hollow bolt first to make pulling the cable through easier. Dont be afraid to cosy in a few guys and a mini tower etc. Better than looking like it might all crash down if client watching . Also i can imagine this is going high?

Have not hung a chandeliar as large as the one you have. The biggest was a metre and a quarter drop by three quarters of a metre wide with just over two hundred and fifty lead crystal drop set of different lengths.

Bloody thing came in kit form so the framework had to be put together first, this weighed about twelve pounds and had a hanging ring that had to be screwed on having passed it through the ceiling. I used a one inch thick steel rod passed throught reinforced joists (this done by doubling the thickness of same with screwed on blocks) and then additional support of bracing noggins. When the whole thing was up it weighed about four stone, looked superb but it took about ten hours to install and assemble.

My advice is similar to those who have spoken before, plan things out, check the load capability of where you are hanging it, make sure you have enough people there to set it safely and make sure you are working at a comfortable height (off scaffold, tower or scissor lift)

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I hung a 350lb one 6 weeks ago and it was a nightmare.

blimey thats like 25 stone!! cant imagine trying to fit this, or why they need to be soooo heavy!

:)sounds like you need someone built like a brick s*house with big balls to me:d

I was talking to the structural engineer whilst he was inspecting the joists and he told me that the weight of the chandelier is not the most important point it is the loading above and the condition of the joists. The ends of the joists can rot and will slip of the wall, how many holes have electricians/plumbers drilled into them and you must consider the maximum load bearing feasible for the room, IE it could be a bedroom with a large bed and 2 heavy weight people, add wardrobe, chestadraws, cabinets, dresser ect. Then consider how you are going to hang the chandelier and if you are going to have to cut the joist and will this have a affect.

The one i hung was a huge beast. It was 8' dia at the base with a antique frame and 1400 pieces of lead Chrystal plus lights. We just had to hang the frame and wire in.

point taken ,if somone has enough dosh to own a house to warent having a chandeller that big ,they can afford a structual enginners report

The owner is a barrister in London. Only works 3 days a week, 4 days down here.

I have done a lot of work for him in the past and truth is he is a really nice bloke. Initially i was given the refurbished frame to rewire and fit new lamp holders but he then contacted me asking if i would be prepared to fix the thing. Did not ask for a price, just get on with it

The owner is a barrister in London. Only works 3 days a week, 4 days down here.

I have done a lot of work for him in the past and truth is he is a really nice bloke. Initially i was given the refurbished frame to rewire and fit new lamp holders but he then contacted me asking if i would be prepared to fix the thing. Did not ask for a price, just get on with it

same as my customers. Price is not important, they just trust me etc.
If this was my job i would brace a new joist onto a older joist complete with new hangers etc

I see many "wet rooms" that have been built in timber floor houses and they cannot take the weight of all the tiles etc . after a few months it all drops by a few mm and leaks

thanks guys for advice, the frame can be put up wthout crystals on which is a bonus, I will get my chippy mate to reinforce the beams and use a steel rod. maybe I should wear a flat cap and sheep skin jacket whilst fittting it hehe

Reply to Best way to hang a 13 stone chandelier in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock