Discuss Best ways to fix / mount consumer units! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
About to replace my consumer unit. Current one is screwed directly to plastered wall. The replacement unit is in roughly the same location but I need to move it away from the wall slightly so the top clears an exposed wooden joist. I’m looking to fix it to one inch thick section of MDF fixed to wall by two 2x2in wooden batterns. Cable entries top and bottom using appropriate glands. Any thoughts on using wood to mount in this way bearing in mind meters and supply heads all seem to be mounted on wooden cork like boards (or are these fire proof)?

I always use a piece of Ply to fit my boards on to as I don't feel the screws take so well in MDF, even if you use the correct screws for MDF.

If you are using 2 x 2 battens then you will have a space behind to bring the cables in. I think this is much better as it is neater and also avoids having to maintain IP4x which you would have to do if you came in from above.

The unit itself is classed as non combustible so you can use wood to place it on.

Good luck!

PS Knockouts at back of unit are intact although there may be a necessity to take some cables in from rear.

About to replace my consumer unit. Current one is screwed directly to plastered wall. The replacement unit is in roughly the same location but I need to move it away from the wall slightly so the top clears an exposed wooden joist. I’m looking to fix it to one inch thick section of MDF fixed to wall by two 2x2in wooden batterns. Cable entries top and bottom using appropriate glands. Any thoughts on using wood to mount in this way bearing in mind meters and supply heads all seem to be mounted on wooden cork like boards (or are these fire proof)?
Simple solution, mount an Ellis board (fireproof),available from any decent plumbers merchant onto wallboards.

Reply to Best ways to fix / mount consumer units! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock