Discuss bloody computers and everything that gets in. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
thought i'd ask an expert.... been using google as homepage for ages. all regular sites and some most used progs. displayed under the www. search window, and icons in the main page. couple of days ago home page changed itself to something called my way with no access to anything unless i used bookmarks or manual search. managed to do a system restore and it's now back as it should be, but how could this change have happened, certainly nothing that i did. help appreciated.

don't think so.

It may of been an automatic update from permission you gave without knowing it , happened with me on my hotmail account.

funny thing is, if it search "make google my home page", none if the listed sites are google, whereas before, the first site was google. anyway, a system restore fixed it. i did however notice in the last week there have been 4 windows upgrades.

another thing that happened was..... tried to make google home page on the no.1 site that was listed. it then said do a speed check, so i did and it came uo with dowmload 25Mb/s via EE, (which is my ISP) and upload 0 Mb/s via "server" what's that all about?

Many programs, even on updates will add extra programs such as AVG, Norton, Google Tool Bar, Bing, etc.
If you don’t untick the box, these programs will get added and often make a new home page.
so what box is this that you don't untick when updates come in automatically

The one that says make MSN, AOL, Google, etc my home page.

To be honest, I think these computers have minds of their own.
My Apple Music often decides a track in an album, doesn’t belong in that album, or forgets the album cover art.

Think you have to click on options when installing and then untick the bing search bar. My page is a microsoft thing. There is a thing called UAC user account control. What it does is ask you before any changes are made to your computer by any software trying to install itself you need to have that on. You then have to give permission to let the software install or not as the case may be. Automatic updates should also be looked at. Hang fire it's not called that...

So go to start-control panel-all control panel items-user accounts then-change user account control settings. You will then open a screen which will let you decide how much control you have over programs doing whatever they feel like.

so what box is this that you don't untick when updates come in automatically
I was caught with this years ago when updating either Firefox or Chrome. I googled the page to download the latest browser and skipped past a dialogue box with a check box which then installed a weird new search engine and home page. Back when i used windoze machines. The page i clicked must have sent me to an unofficial download page for the browser that included some sort of unwanted add on which i breezed past in the installation stage, so make sure the URL you go to for any product has the company-name.com in it as the main URL then / whatever / else.

Mozzilla make Firefox and Google make Chrome etc.

I was caught with this years ago when updating either Firefox or Chrome. I googled the page to download the latest browser and skipped past a dialogue box with a check box which then installed a weird new search engine and home page. Back when i used windoze machines. The page i clicked must have sent me to an unofficial download page for the browser that included some sort of unwanted add on which i breezed past in the installation stage, so make sure the URL you go to for any product has the company-name.com in it as the main URL then / whatever / else.

Mozzilla make Firefox and Google make Chrome etc.
Get that with Phone Numbers as well.
Search for DVLA’s phone number and the top few hits will be 3rd party sites and the number they show will be a premium rate.

So go to start-control panel-all control panel items-user accounts then-change user account control settings. You will then open a screen which will let you decide how much control you have over programs doing whatever they feel like.
just done that.checked the updates and they were all updates to windows defender AV.

Reply to bloody computers and everything that gets in. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock