Discuss Blue pipe connections under build in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
Builders broke ground today with the digger down the side of the house. They busted a lead water pipe which runs down the side of the house.

Houses are fed in bunches of 5 from the street. That means me and 4 other houses share the same stop tap.

Builders repaired the T joint and replaced with blue pipe. Seven trent have turned up and spoke with me, they said if it was their house, they wouldn't feel happy building over water mains joints. However after talking some more they said the joints are made to last forever so it contradicted what he said.

I'm a little confused if it is safe or not. There is now a mix of lead and blue pipe which will be under the 2 storey side extension.

Anyone had any experience with these connections and how durable they are? Would you build over them?

No joints are made to last forever! Saying that, I live in a row of 6 victorian terrace, most are fed from a common main running along the backs of the houses under the kitchen extensions (formerly the scullery/outside bog) with the stoptap rising under the sink. As a neighbour of mine found out, the state of the galvanised pipe after 130 years is iffy. Luckily both he and I have separate new blue PE mains but the others are still on the former -and well dodgy- common supply (the section past my and his houses was replaced with blue PE when he did his extension).
Lead pipe can last for years but all depends on things like water quality, soil quality etc. Blue plastic pipe should also last depending on things like movement (has anybody had problems with rodents chewqing plastic pipe like they do cables?). Personally, I would have routed it clear of the extension or if not possible then put in a carrier pipe for each side rising to your stop tap position so any joints are accessible.

Thanks for the reply. What they did in the end was sleeve the joints and concrete over. Tbe building inspector said it was satisfactory so I cant really say much else

Reply to Blue pipe connections under build in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net