Discuss Bmw e36 Control module help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I don't know this is the right place to ask but i just wired up a gm 4 (also known as zke iv) for my bmw e36 from 1996. So the problem is it's refuses put out any signal meanwhile I give it all the inputs that it requires except i don't have an alarm system (only an aftermarket one wich is not hooked up to the system at all. The module uses 4 connector (1 for the central lock 1 for the power everything 1 for the accesories and 1 for the main chip inputs ) and it's controls the central lock interior lights and the windows. First i thought there is maybe not enough power comming in or smt but i checked the pins and all voltage is there where it's needs to be. My car is 1996 model as i mentioned and the module is from 1998 car but as far as i know it should work because it's the same body style as my car has (the only thing that is coded to the module is the bodystyle of the car according to the internet, in this case is compact) meanwhile i used the 1998 electrical manual to wire it up due to the small difference of the pinlayouts (few cabels missmatch the colors but i was able to figure it out where they should go) but if i check any of the output pins they show 0 voltage and also nothing work as you would expect it. I disassembled the unit everything looks brand new so i don't think that's the issue. I belive the issue is the main chip doesn't turn on as it should but idk the reason since it has the voltages and grd provided for it, my guess probably the alarm system is missing or in worst case it's a compatibility issue due to the year difference beetwen the car and the modul.
btw the module uses this main chip (MC68HC711P2CFN4, https://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/freescale_mc68hc11p2.pdf) wich i was able to find a datasheet for it but it's beyond my knowledge to figure out anything useful of this
Any tips? or suggestion? i would appreciate it
thanks for reading it

Reply to Bmw e36 Control module help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net