Discuss Bolted connections for busbars in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any information anywhere regarding busbar bolted connections?

recently working on two lots of terminations, one lapped and one clamped. I’m specifically looking for the effects of using bolts in different orientation on the same connection.

so one bolt with the head to the front and another with the nut to the front. I’ve always put them in the same way to be uniform and was wondering if installing them With no order could cause an issue?

potentially causing an issue with expansion rate? Or with pressure distribution on mating surfaces?

TIA

Providing it is very tight and the bolt a minimum of 8 mm2 IME then either way will be fine, use spring washers as well so the nut and bolts do not loosen

The only correct tightness for any bus are connection is the manufacturers recommendation. Over-tight can be just as dangerous as under-tight as the contact area of the busbars can become deformed and too small causing excess heating at joints.

use a torque wrench and set it to the correct value (it will surprise you just how much we tend to over-torque connections in general).

Providing it is very tight and the bolt a minimum of 8 mm2 IME then either way will be fine, use spring washers as well so the nut and bolts do not loosen

Only if you use the right kind of spring washer.
Split washers are next to useless, a disc spring (aka Belleville washer) would be far more appropriate for electrical connections.

The only correct tightness for any bus are connection is the manufacturers recommendation. Over-tight can be just as dangerous as under-tight as the contact area of the busbars can become deformed and too small causing excess heating at joints.

use a torque wrench and set it to the correct value (it will surprise you just how much we tend to over-torque connections in general).
thats what i woud do as it may invalidate the warranty set out by the manufactures its common sense

Reply to Bolted connections for busbars in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock